Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My relactation Journey.

Default My relactation Journey.

So I started relactating for the second time monday night (the first time was at 6 weeks after two hospital stays where I couldnt pump and my son couldnt feed and lost supply). My son is 16 weeks today. I haven't pumped in 3 weeks now. But my son is NOT tolerating formula. We have had to switch numerous times and his formula now is so incredibly expensive. We have been getting WIC but it is not enough to meet his needs. So I decided to try and relactate again and let me say it is MUCH harder then last time. Today I got drops in the bottle on my left side though. My right is still struggling. I have been pumping 8 times a day at least (except yesterday we lost power from 8 last night till 6 this morning so could only hand express. Which is probably why I got bottle drops this morning. I have been taking fenugreek and was supposed to have an LC appointment today but the lady never called me to schedule it which has me totally turned off but she is the only one around that is an IBCLC. I am going to look into getting some more milk plus but funds are SO tight with his formula expense. I am using a hygeia q that I got from my insurance but it is shredding my nipples compared to the symphony I had the last time I relactated but I can't afford to rent the symphony or any other hospital grade pump right now. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement that this will work and hopefully my nipples will get used to it.

Default Re: My relactation Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellysays2u View Post
    So I started relactating for the second time monday night (the first time was at 6 weeks after two hospital stays where I couldnt pump and my son couldnt feed and lost supply). My son is 16 weeks today. I haven't pumped in 3 weeks now. But my son is NOT tolerating formula. We have had to switch numerous times and his formula now is so incredibly expensive. We have been getting WIC but it is not enough to meet his needs. So I decided to try and relactate again and let me say it is MUCH harder then last time. Today I got drops in the bottle on my left side though. My right is still struggling. I have been pumping 8 times a day at least (except yesterday we lost power from 8 last night till 6 this morning so could only hand express. Which is probably why I got bottle drops this morning. I have been taking fenugreek and was supposed to have an LC appointment today but the lady never called me to schedule it which has me totally turned off but she is the only one around that is an IBCLC. I am going to look into getting some more milk plus but funds are SO tight with his formula expense. I am using a hygeia q that I got from my insurance but it is shredding my nipples compared to the symphony I had the last time I relactated but I can't afford to rent the symphony or any other hospital grade pump right now. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement that this will work and hopefully my nipples will get used to it.
    I've found that if I stick a tissue into the breastshield to kinda weaken the suction that I can tolerate a "too powerful pump" better.
    Also, if you do hand expression after the pumping sessions it will probably do more to help your supply.

Does your son still latch on? Will he nurse for a bit dry? I've heard of people relactating simply by putting baby to the breast for a time before each feeding since babies are much better at removing/stimulating milk than pumps are.

Welcome to the forum!

When you say your pump is "shredding" your nipples, what do you mean? Pumping shouldn't hurt, and if it does, it points to a problem with the pump or the shield size.

More Milk + and other supplements are nice, but when it comes to increasing supply, NOTHING does as much for you as:
    1. A good pump with properly fitted shields
    2. Frequent pumping
    3. A nursing baby- so if your baby will latch on at all, let him!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am in the process of researching relactation right now because my son suddenly became very ill on formula and is losing weight. I am switching his pediatrician and trying to get help with breastfeeding but am having a hard time. My son just turned 5 months and I stopped breastfeeding/pumping when he was 2 months old. My OB's doctors office just called me this morning denying me a domperidone prescription so if I do this I have to give it my all. I stopped breastfeeding in the beginning due to a low supply and the lack of knowledge from his doctors. My lactation consultant at the time too never returned my phone calls so I gave up. Biggest regret ever! I was unable to breastfeed my daughter at all so I just feel like I'm not made to breastfeed but I really want to. If I get this going after 3 months of formula feeding, even an ounce of breast milk, I'll be SO happy!