Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused baby

Default Confused baby

I'm sorry I had to start another thread but this is kind of unrelated to my previous one.

My LO was introduced formula on Day 2. She lost almost a pound at the hospital and my milk hasn't come in so we decided to supplement with formula.

As days progressed, we continued to breastfeed during the day, pump and give her that if she doesn't latch and formula feed at night.

I was getting so tired of the routine and formula that I decided to EBF despite the poor latch and the progressively painful and long BF sessions. I was successful in EBF for a week but my supply seemed to have dwindled (for some strange reason - maybe she just comfort nurse? Would that lessen my supply?) and she just wasn't satisfied after each hour-long sessions. It got so painful (although no cracked nipples) that I decided to give it a weekend break.

Unfortunately, that weekend turned into a week. So now my 3-week old LO seem to have a poor latch, been introduced 3 different nipples (Avent, Medela and the nipple that comes with formula), a soothie AND a nipple shield. Could she be getting confused?

I know that the instant gratification she gets from a bottle is faster than BF but will I be able to EBF again? Any suggestions on how I can do that? I tried catching her in the early stages of wakefulness as advised but by the time she actually wakes up, she's hysteric with hunger I can't pacify her with BF anymore. I just want to begin BF again and deal with the latch and pain at a later time. Help!!!

Default Re: Confused baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*noodles610 View Post
    I'm sorry I had to start another thread but this is kind of unrelated to my previous one.

My LO was introduced formula on Day 2. She lost almost a pound at the hospital and my milk hasn't come in so we decided to supplement with formula.

As days progressed, we continued to breastfeed during the day, pump and give her that if she doesn't latch and formula feed at night.

I was getting so tired of the routine and formula that I decided to EBF despite the poor latch and the progressively painful and long BF sessions. I was successful in EBF for a week but my supply seemed to have dwindled (for some strange reason - maybe she just comfort nurse? Would that lessen my supply?) and she just wasn't satisfied after each hour-long sessions. It got so painful (although no cracked nipples) that I decided to give it a weekend break.

Unfortunately, that weekend turned into a week. So now my 3-week old LO seem to have a poor latch, been introduced 3 different nipples (Avent, Medela and the nipple that comes with formula), a soothie AND a nipple shield. Could she be getting confused?

I know that the instant gratification she gets from a bottle is faster than BF but will I be able to EBF again? Any suggestions on how I can do that? I tried catching her in the early stages of wakefulness as advised but by the time she actually wakes up, she's hysteric with hunger I can't pacify her with BF anymore. I just want to begin BF again and deal with the latch and pain at a later time. Help!!!
    If latch hurts and baby isn't able to get enough milk out of MOM, get baby checked for tongue and lip ties as well as for disorganized suck since inefficient milk transfer can cause mom's milk supply to drop in addition to the issues with supplementing and flow preference and nipple confusion. Get help from an IBCLC ASAP if you can and if baby needs to get tongue and/or lip ties corrected do that ASAP since the sooner you do it the less re-training baby will need to be able to nurse effectively afterward. If the issue is inefficient sucking then try to get to see a speech therapist or oral motor therapist that is experienced in dealing with infants with sucking/swallowing problems.

Here is a thread that might have some resources that could be of assistance to you
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ransfer-Issues

Default Re: Confused baby

I have had 2 IBCLC and a doula assist me with the latch issue. They all said that she doesn't seem to have a tongue tie problem or a high palate. In the beginning, she would bite down on my nipple due to forceful let-down. During the week that I was solely BF, I corrected that issue by pumping for 5 mins. before waking her up. It's just that she would latch good some days, some days are just miserable.