Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6.5 months old - period has returned - supply/taste issue?

Default 6.5 months old - period has returned - supply/taste issue?

Hi friends,

So 2 weeks ago, DD went on strike and I couldn't figure out why. This is a baby who loves to nurse and doesn't take a bottle. She was still at 8-9 times a day until this strike. I brought her to the doc for a check up, everything was fine. But this went on for 5 days exactly. Finally she went back to it and sure enough, I got my period. So I guess it dropped my supply and/or changed the taste prior to it starting?

Okay, so we were fine for a week or so while on my period and now that's stopped, she's on strike again. Can this really be happening?! I'm pulling my hair out! So what gives? This is my first period since baby. Could my hormones be so out of whack that my milk supply is having a hard time right now? I thought everything would be fine AFTER the period.

Let me clarify, she's TRYING to nurse, but she's on and off, on and off, CONSTANTLY. I'm not even sure there's a letdown. Why would the fussiness happen after my period? I'm so anxiety-ridden over this. I can't go through 2 strikes a month, it'll be the death of me

Could the return of my period have completely KILLED my supply overall?

p.s. - I just did my bedtime feed with her, same crappy fussiness (on, off)...but she burped afterwards. I then pumped immediately after I put her in the crib and the milk spilled out immediately. So I'm hoping that means I had a letdown while she was nursing and what was coming out was the remainder? I don't usually pour out with milk almost instantly when I pump.

THANKS FOR READING THIS FAR!! SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! I'M EXHAUSTED AND STRESSED. Please help ladies! Thank you!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: 6.5 months old - period has returned - supply/taste issu

Sorry you are having this frustration! How was baby fed during the initial strike? Were bottles required and if so, were you able to pump enough milk for your baby to live on? Or did you muddle through with baby nursing a bit?

Has baby's weight gain always been ok? At around 6 months, weight gain normally slows and sometimes that means a baby may not need to nurse as long or as often as they once did. This change may be temporary.

Baby is trying to nurse-how often? Baby trying to nurse but popping on and off does not sound like a strike exactly, although of course the ideas for helping with a strike may help in this case too. But a "strike" typically means baby refuses to nurse, to even try.

What else could be going on that makes it hard for baby to nurse happily? Illness, teething, distractions? Any changes in your personal hygiene- new deodorant, perfume, soap, or lotion, are you taking any new nutritional supplements, or medications, major diet changes?

6 months is certainly within a normal range for the return of your fertility. I do not believe a return of fertility would kill a mothers milk production or dramatically change the taste of milk. It does not make sense from a biological perspective. I do not even believe periods affect milk production all that dramatically, and when they do, you are right, it is usually very temporary.

What can certainly happen is baby is not nursing all that frequently for a while, or sleeping long stretches, or eating lots of solids or liquids aside from breastmilk, or being scheduled or sleep trained, or given a pacifier for comfort sucking instead of being encouraged to comfort at the breast, or otherwise discouraged, perhaps totally inadvertently, from nursing as often, or baby cannot nurse as often because mom is back at work or school, etc., and mom is not able to pump as much or as often or her pump is not as effective at milk removal as baby, and those circumstances may both affect milk production AND allow the hormonal changes that bring back a mothers fertility. IN other words, I think serious milk production issues may coincide with periods but are not typically caused by them.

If baby appears frustrated with a slow flow, have you tried instant reward techniques for encouraging baby to nurse?

I assume you have seen this excellent article? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 3rd, 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: 6.5 months old - period has returned - supply/taste issu

Thank you!!

The first strike a few weeks ago, I just kept offering non-stop. She doesn't like bottles, so even if my husband attempted to feed her, she'd play around with it rather than drink it. She nursed at night, so I figured she was at least getting some calories at night. Her weight gain is good. She's 17 lbs at 6 months and 27 1/4" in height. So she's not starving by any means. I guess it was just a drop in supply that frustrated her because as SOON as my period actually started, she went right back to full time nursing like nothing ever happened. That strike lasted 5 days.

This latest one started a day after my period was over and it was a bit more frustrating because she didn't even want to nurse at night. But like you said, it wasn't an all out "strike" because she was at least ATTEMPTING to nurse. I'm really not sure what triggered it unless after my period was over I had another temporary supply drop? This one lasted 3 days and I'm happy to report that she's back to nursing full time again. It's so strange and frustrating. I DID start a calcium/magnesium pill, which I've since stopped taking to see if that was the problem? Although I read it was good to take while breastfeeding and during menstruation. So I'm not sure what to do about that now. (?)

Additionally, I had noticed that she hadn't had a bowel movement in a few days, I know it's not uncommon, but she's USUALLY an everyday pooper. Well she had a MAJOR bowel movement on the second day of the "strike" and by the third day she was completely back to normal for nursing. Could that have slowed down her nursing?

I also noticed she was yawning a lot during this latest strike and just seemed sleepy more often...she also learned to get up on all fours and rock back and forth. So I'm assuming this could also have been a developmental phase this week. Maybe she was too "busy" to nurse?

So yeah, I guess really it could be ANY of those things I mentioned. These strikes are just so frustrating for everyone! My poor husband thought I was going to lose my mind...it's amazing how emotional we get during these awful strikes too. Well, thank you again for the advice, I don't know how I'd get through these times without this board as a reference and of course for support.
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!