Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re-intro and a question

Default re-intro and a question

Hi all,

I frequented these forums a little under two years ago when trying to work through my first baby's extreme fussiness and my oversupply issues. Now we are about to welcome baby #2, and I just found an old LLL podcast on oversupply and listened to it as a very helpful refresher on techniques for managing it. (Here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/mp3/LLL...fulLetdown.mp3) One thing the leader said was that OS can be a major factor in leading moms to quit breastfeeding---I know I considered it many, many times, and the support on this forum was huge in helping me resist the temptation. My baby ended up weaning early (around 11 months), but those last three or four months of nursing were absolutely worth the hard beginning (and the early months were good, too, in their own way...).

I feel much less apprehensive about nursing again after listening to that podcast, but was curious if anyone knows whether oversupply tends to be a recurring thing with each baby, something your body is sort of wired for. It would be good to be mentally prepared, I guess.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me the last time around, and good luck to those of you in the trenches now. You're doing hard work, so be easy on yourself, and try to enjoy your baby as much as you're able.

Default Re: re-intro and a question

Hi mama, welcome again!

I've been an oversupply mama with each of my three babies. If anything, I've read on here that supply often increases with subsequent babies. But hopefully armed with knowledge this time you'll be able to handle it all the more easily from the get-go! Congrats on the new baby!

Well, that's good to know! I do hope I can go with the flow a little better this time and not feel like something is terribly wrong if my baby doesn't seem to love nursing. That was the hardest part I think.

I had os with my first and it was not easy. IHowever, she loved/loves nursing! So even if you have is again it doesn't mean this baby will necessarily struggle as much with it. And having been through it before you will know all the tricks. I know for me, having found these forums was such a help. This is where I go first with questions or struggles. Good luck!

I have had increasing overproduction with each child. Yet my nursing relationship has otherwise been easier and more satisfying with each child. Experience alone can do wonders for mom's confidence. I agree that os does not mean baby will be unhappy nursing or even really notice- every baby is different.

Thanks for your responses, that's really helpful. We will see...if you don't hear much from me the next couple months that'll be a good sign!