Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weaning a toddler that has history of delayed eating solids

Default weaning a toddler that has history of delayed eating solids

I'm in the process of weaning my 17.5 month old. I'm stressed out. Shes now down to breastfeeds usually once in the middle of the night but sometimes none at night, once in the morning, and again in the evening before bed. So, 2-3 times per 24 hours. During the day she eats very little amounts of solids, but a decent variety of foods (purees as well as solids). Very little= typical day intake may be nothing at all or 10 cheerios and 2 strawberries. Or a few bites of yogurt and 5 bites of oatmeal. Or 10 noodles.
    She didn't eat solids at ALL until around 14.5 months, and ever since, she wavers back and forth between not eating anything to eating very little. She was always 50th-60th percentile for weight and 90th for height. Still around 90th for height but dropped to 30th for weight at her 12 month appointment. And she hasnt gained any weight at all since her 15 month appointment, so based on growth charts she has continued dropping percentiles. Her 18 month appointment is coming up in a few weeks, but I'm thinking about seeing some kind of early intervention to addressthe feeding issues that she has as well as some tactile defensiveness that she has in regards to standing or stepping on certain textures like walking through grass, or wearing clothing, or getting liquid spilled on her. Those things usually caused her to get upset, tantrum, or cry. I'm wondering maybe they are somehow related but at the same time I'm also wondering if maybe I am just being over reactive and silly. I'm a first time mom so all of this is so new to me. Stressing out.

Default Re: weaning a toddler that has history of delayed eating sol

I just checked the chart. Her weight would put her at the 10th percentile currently.

Are you encouraging weaning or is your child weaning on her own, or some combination? Is there any particular reason you want to wean sooner rather than later (assuming you do.)

A very good book on the whole issue of babies and young children and eating (or not eating) is My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez, a pediatrician. It does not try to tell you how to make a child eat more, rather, he explains what is normal, what may not be, what usually does not help and what might. It's very fascinating and may be reassuring to you. It's a short book, written for parents. If your local library or LLL group does not have the book, it is an inexpensive paperback on Amazon.

It's a combination. I'm weaning mostly in order to try to get my fertility back in order to try to conceive another baby.

Well, I would suggest it is entirely possible to nurse frequently and still be fertile. If you period has not yet returned, first know that 18 months pp is not an unusual time frame to not yet have it back, and it may be coming back quite soon regardless.
    there is evidence that daily 6 hour stretch of no nursing every day will increase a mothers chance of her cycle returning. Some say the 6 hours should be at night, but I am not sure how much evidence there is that time matters. It may, I just do not know. I know that I nightweaned my oldest son for the same reason and my period did indeed return at about a month after we started night weaning. (when he was about 18 months old) But now that I understand more about it, I wonder if it would have come back at that time anyway. With my two subsequent children my period returned all on its own with no weaning of any kind (both nursed frequently right through toddlerhood) shortly before they turned 2.

I do understand wanting your fertility back, as I said I had a similar desire, I was worried about my age and very much wanted another child. But 6 months (as an example) makes very little difference in a woman's chances of conceiving, but can make a huge difference in a child's readiness to wean, partially or entirely. If I had a nursing child who I had any concern they were having weight gain issues, I would possibly think about waiting a bit before encouraging weaning.

I am hoping to continue breastfeeding for quite some time, I just wanted to slowly wean her feeds down to 1-2 a day for a while, then 1 a day for a while. I definitely don't feel right weaning her entirely though like you said, because of worrying about her weight. I charted my cycles for 4 years before conceiving her so I'm very aware of my signs, and definitely dont have any signs of it returning yet, including any post partum periods. I'm hoping that if I can cut back just one more feed that it might result in return of fertility. she's been pretty much night weaned for quite sometime, by her own choice. She usually sleeps through the night (8pm to 7 am) or if she wakes up it's usually only one time to nurse. so she definitely goes several hours between the nursing sessions sometimes as many as 12 hours between nursing sessions, so I don't know why I haven't gotten my period back yet but I'm hoping it will be soon.
    Last edited by @llli*rachandash; July 7th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Even mothers who do not nurse sometimes see quite a delay before their cycle comes back after giving birth, however, if you are very concerned, you may want to speak to your OB maybe.

Also your cycle may come back without a ton of warning, as your fertility signals can be hard to read while nursing and can change after pregnancy.

I feel awful now. She got a severe case of croup and I took her to the doctor. Her weight, with a diaper on (usually she is naked) put her so low she's off the chart.

I feel awful now. She got a severe case of croup and I took her to the doctor. Her weight, with a diaper on (usually she is naked) put her so low she's off the chart.
    I decided to nurse her as much as she wants. Is this going to help her nutrition wise bc it seems like the more she nurses the less solids she may take? What's a good ratio for her? Can nursing alone meet all her nutrition needs at her age? I know it does for babies under 1 but what about toddlers?
    Last edited by @llli*rachandash; July 11th, 2014 at 02:08 PM.

Breastmilk alone is enough for babies under 12 months. After 12 months, solids become increasingly important, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to a majority-solids diet can be slow, with many kids still mostly breastfed well into the second year. At 17.5 months, your LO might be a bit old and large to get ALL her calories from breastmilk, but breastmilk can still fill a lot of holes in her diet.

If you're concerned that nursing is impacting her solids intake, feed her solids first and nurse her after. Are you concentrating on high-calorie solids? Things like avocados, beans, meat, whole-milk dairy products? How about adding a little bit of olive oil or butter to her low-calorie solids, e.g. veggies and fruits?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"