Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2.5oz Bottle?

Default 2.5oz Bottle?

So DD seems to like a 2.5oz bottle. What should I put that in for day care? I have been using 5oz bottles, but it looks ridiculously empty. I know there are 4oz bottles. Are there smaller ones? Or just send half full bottles?

Default Re: 2.5oz Bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ngs215 View Post
    So DD seems to like a 2.5oz bottle. What should I put that in for day care? I have been using 5oz bottles, but it looks ridiculously empty. I know there are 4oz bottles. Are there smaller ones? Or just send half full bottles?
    I send milk in storage bags and the caregiver rewarms as needed. I send an approximately 5 and 4 oz bags each day and sometimes baby drinks 3, 3, and 3 or sometimes 5 and 4 or sometimes 2 and 3 and 4. This way she can give him as much as he needs.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

I always used the same 5 oz Medela bottles I pumped into at work. And I left 2 oz bottles for my daughter. It worked out just fine, and limited the likelihood that my mom (my nanny) would spill anything while trying to transfer milk!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

There are probably smaller bottles you could get (I've seen 2 oz bottles) but as long as the daycare follows paced bottle feeding and understands that 2.5 oz seems to be what she takes at one time who cares if it looks like an empty bottle.

If you really want a bottle that is just the right size
    http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Breastm...z+Baby+Bottles
    But remember that the amount for one feeding may change over time.
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; July 3rd, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

I personally think so much overfeeding(and breastfeeding angst overall) is due to the ridiculous size of standard bottles! I agree it matters not how large the bottle is as long as it has the right amount in it for your baby and baby is being fed correctly. But the enormous bottles do make a perfect, normal meal look puny.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    But the enormous bottles do make a perfect, normal meal look puny.
    I remember reading somewhere, that a 'tip' for sending milk to day care was to use small bottles so that it didn't look like a small portion. But given the bottle selection in stores, that tip must just mean not to put 2oz in an 8 oz bottle. With my first, we did 3oz in 5oz bottles, and argued about appropriate bottle size with DCP quite a bit, so I am just bracing myself for the inevitable fight this time. (DH thinks I am being negative and there won't be a fight this time, but I am preparing anyway.)

I may get those Medela storage bottles though. I want to send 1oz toppers and I am just not sure I can put 1ox in a 5oz bottle with a straight face!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ngs215 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere, that a 'tip' for sending milk to day care was to use small bottles so that it didn't look like a small portion. But given the bottle selection in stores, that tip must just mean not to put 2oz in an 8 oz bottle. With my first, we did 3oz in 5oz bottles, and argued about appropriate bottle size with DCP quite a bit, so I am just bracing myself for the inevitable fight this time. (DH thinks I am being negative and there won't be a fight this time, but I am preparing anyway.)

I may get those Medela storage bottles though. I want to send 1oz toppers and I am just not sure I can put 1ox in a 5oz bottle with a straight face!
    So send the toppers in milk bags.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

http://www.snappiescontainers.com/
    here is an idea, I think they work with the same threads as the medela bottles. I've ordered some 1 oz ones to check out since I'm dealing with supplementing.