Breastfeeding Today, Issue 24, July 2014
Features: • The Mother Blessing Ceremony: A Celebration of a Woman's Transition into Motherhood
• Ten ideas and important things to consider when planning your ceremony and
Gift ideas to consider
• When Wants and Needs Collide - As baby grows, the breastfeeding relationship provides experience with negotiation and compromise.
• Smoking - finding a way to quit
• Working Ethiopian Mothers Determined to Breastfeed
Mothers' Stories: • Breastfeeding Through Critical Illness and Recovery - Natalie finds a way to maintain her breastfeeding relationship with her baby during a months-long hospitalization.
(mother hospitalized, separation from baby, pumping to maintain supply)
• Patience and Fortitude - Vanessa's persistence is rewarded as she pumps to maintain and increase her supply while her baby learns how to latch.
(pumping to increase supply, supplementing with formula, slow weight gain, latch problems)
• Promoting Dad's Role in Breastfeeding - Pascal gives a father's perspective on supporting breastfeeding, suggesting the need for "father-to-father" support.
(fathering, family support)
Mom to Mom: • I Want a Natural Birth
"The birth of my first baby, who is now two years old,
was traumatic. I didn’t progress at the expected rate
during labor, which led to a cascade of medical
interventions resulting in a cesarean. I felt really out
of control and frightened. I am now pregnant again
and am exploring the options open to me for birthing
my baby naturally."
What's Cooking: • The Jewel of the Irish Sea
Recipe: Homity Pie