Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop problems

Default Poop problems

Hi everyone. I'm new to posting on this site although I've used it as a resource before. My little one is almost 4 months old and I've been EBF since day 1. Up until about 2-2.5 weeks ago everything was going well. He doubled his birthweight by 3 months and is now a healthy 17.5 pounds. Now, however, we've hit a rough patch. He started having green to yellow green poops and they started losing their seedy consistency. Instead they were more frothy or mucous-like. Doing research I thought that he was getting too much fore milk and not enough hind milk. So I stopped the fenugreek I was on and started offering him only 1 breast at each feeding. Now, his poops are generally back to yellow. But they're explosive (diapers can't contain them), huge, and frothy (sometimes with a little mucous thrown in for good measure). He also has stinky gas sometimes and sometimes gets fussy while nursing.

I called my lactation consultant and she thought my little one has an intolerance to something in my diet, likely dairy. So she suggested that I eliminate dairy for a day or 2 to see if things improve. I'm starting that today.

It seems strange to me that there would be this seemingly rapid food intolerance that developed after 3 months. Has anyone else had this experience? If it was diet related, how long did it take for symptoms to improve in your baby (1-2 days seems pretty short to me)? If anyone has had a similar experience or thoughts on what might be going on, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Default Re: Poop problems

Your baby is healthy and gaining, and there are no other issues? Just the changes in poops? When you say fussy during nursing, can you be more specific?
    Why were you taking fenugreek? Were you using other techniques for increasing milk production? Do you seem to have a fast flow?
    IMO what a poop looks like is pretty irrelevant (unless it is obviously super off- really dark, white, hard, bloody, etc.) poops do not have to be seedy or not mucousy to be entirely normal, and color can normally vary.

Thank you for your reply. Yes my baby is healthy and gaining and there are no other issues - just the changes in poops, the gas and the fussiness. By fussiness, I mean that he sometimes pulls of the breast and cries out, or he'll end a feeding by crying out. Before, he was always content with nursing - he would be happy after a feeding. He's a very mellow, happy baby so this change, while minor, is significant for us. I was on fenugreek to boost my milk supply. I had the same issue with my daughter, so I started fenugreek at about 3 weeks when it was apparent my supply hadn't caught up with his demand. I was also pumping to increase my supply. I do have a forceful let-down and flow, so perhaps my efforts were working too well. I've been off fenugreek for 1.5 weeks now.

Would there be something that caused this rather sudden change to his poops? Priority #1 is for baby to be healthy, and he is. But if there's something in my diet I can change, or something else I can do to alleviate any GI discomfort he's having I want to try it. And, I'd like to alleviate the abundant frothy poops that aren't contained by a diaper as I'm practically house-bound by the 3x blowouts a day.

Changes in poop can be caused by oversupply, by normal gut maturation, by allergies, and by illness (e.g. a minor gastrointestinal bug). Since it sounds like you did have an oversupply, by far the most likely explanation for what you are seeing is the oversupply. This is true even after the oversupply has diminished- it takes the gut some time to heal.

If you want to contain the poopsplosions, I suggest going up a size in dosposable diapers or switching to cloth, which is much more likely to contain a wet and frothy mess.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When doing exclusion diets to try to pin point a problem food, you probably need to cut out that food for at least 10 days, at least that is what I have read for milk, 10-14 days without dairy and if the symptoms improve you then have a couple big glasses of milk one day and bring milk back into your diet full force to see if the symptoms come back. If symptoms don't improve after a couple weeks without dairy then you can figure dairy isn't the problem and if the symptoms improved but didn't come back within a week of adding the dairy back into your diet then dairy probably wasn't the problem.

Now I know Fenugreek makes ME gassy so perhaps all of it could clear up on it's own in a few more days if the Fenugreek was the cause of the problem.

When he pulls off with a cry, does it help to burp him and then put him back to the breast? Or is he really just done eating at that point? At 4 months I hear fussiness can be common "4 month fussies" and baby starts getting distracted pulling off the breast to look around. At least that is what mine is now sometimes doing to me. Or getting to be a goldilocks about flow and being fussy when it isn't just right.

about how to do an elimination diet. Take it one food or food group at a time, and if there is no improvement, that is not the issue, so go back to eating that food.

But I doubt very much dairy or anything you are eating is causing poopsplosions or non-seedy (more liquidy) poops. That is either normal or most likely due to overproduction/ffld. And those things can sometimes cause gastrointestinal issues.

Assuming gain is good, if you have stopped the fenugreek and pumping, a good strategy for eliminating ffld is to encourage baby to nurse more often, and let baby take one side at a time unless baby is indicating baby wants other side. More frequent nursing sessions often helps a great deal with the issues of ffld, without leading to lower production (as block nursing does.)

I don't know your history of why you thought your production was not meeting your sons needs. If a baby is gaining normally exclusively breastfed, mom produces enough milk. If slow gain is an issue, sometimes there is another explanation. But a baby making copious poops sounds like a baby who is getting plenty of milk.

I agree with Meg by the way that it doesn't really sound like an allergy or intolerance.

However, what does your intuition tell you?