Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood blister

Default blood blister

I got a blood blister on my nipple, if I keep nursing on it will it pop and get better or do I need to do something? The pain is ok.

Default Re: blood blister

As long as the pain isn't too bad, there's probably nothing you need to do other than continuing to nurse. But varying your baby's nursing position is probably a good idea. And if you find a plugged duct forming, it may be necessary to break the blister.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I find that they often prevent milk from passing through normally so I'd sterilize a needle (hold it in a fire until the tip turns red) and then cool it. Gently pierce the opening not by poking it down into the blister, but rather by starting from the base of the blister and prodding it upward. That way you don't poke anything in further deeper. Then express the milk that's been backed up behind there (either manually or by nursing).

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

ruchiccio, I think you are thinking of a bleb?? A blood blister is different. The two could occur together I guess? I've had blood blisters and I just left it alone. But kellymom has some ideas in this article: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    ruchiccio, I think you are thinking of a bleb?? A blood blister is different. The two could occur together I guess? I've had blood blisters and I just left it alone. But kellymom has some ideas in this article: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    No, I mean this can be done for milk blebs too, but I've done it for blisters filled with a clear liquid that happens because of friction (bad latch when my baby was teething, for example).

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

ok makes sense

So the blister popped the day after I posted, didn't need to intervene. I noticed feeling full still after the baby ate so I feel that the blister covered up ducts but I kept feeding her and offering more frequently and avoided any problems thankfully

good news!