Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: saved breastmilk expiration help

Default saved breastmilk expiration help

Hello,

In my breastfeeding class pre baby they said expressed breast milk can stay good in a freezer for 3 months or stay good for 6 months in a deep freezer.
    Here's my question: I had some in a regular freezer for two months and then the third month in a deep freezer. Will my breast milk that is marked to expire in June still good since it's been in a deep freezer for a month or do I need to toss it out?

Default Re: saved breastmilk expiration help

It should be fine! My lactation consultant said milk is ok in the freezer for 12 months!

Llli guidelines say milk is 'good' for 6 months and 'acceptable' til 12 months.

Just keep it in the deep freeze now it is there, I would assume it's definitely ok until it's 6 months old.

Might just want to work to replace it with stuff you keep in the Deep freeze from the beginning, so try to use up the old stuff first but I wouldn't go "throwing it out" just because it gets 4 months old.

I think your class gave you really conservative guidelines--like PP said, in a "regular" freezer up to 6 months is generally fine, in a chest freezer, 12 months is more like it. I actually just gave my daughter milk from a year ago yesterday--it was fine.

I agree that I'd use that milk up first if you are at all concerned. But really, when you thaw it, you'll KNOW if it's okay or not. It's really obvious if milk has spoiled.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

man!! I just read this post and last week I threw out 3mo old milk. I've always only heard 3 months...

You can always taste it and see if it's good. Smell it first

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.