Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple confusion?

Default Nipple confusion?

My son is 3 weeks old & we've had many issues with breastfeeding. Delivery was challenging latching didn't really occur before we left. I ended up pumping once I got home bc he lost 1/2 lb and there was a concern with jaundice. So he got bottles at the beginning. I have continued to try to work on the latch and was given a nipple shield. We are finally to the point where I can get him to latch all the time (sometimes I have to give him 1 oz of expressed milk in a bottle to get him to latch with the shield bc he fights the breast). I go to a support group with a LC and she usually gets him to latch w/o the shield. Every once in a while I can get him to latch w/o the shield. All in all we are finally making progress.
    The problem is the overnight feedings. He is extremely fussy at night and wants to be held. I end up staying up between feedings & trying to calm him down. I'm getting very little sleep & am exhausted. It was suggested by a family member to pump at night & give him a bottle so I can get some sleep because he won't be as aroused for a bottle. I'm afraid of undoing our process however. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Nipple confusion?

My suggestion is to find another way to get more rest. Night bottles can indeed cause more breastfeeding issues, and how is pumping at night going to help you get more sleep? Also, why would a bottle arouse baby less than nursing? That may work some nights and not others. Babies nurse for comfort, not just to eat, so a bottle may upset baby more.

What about:
    Help during the day so you can nap? (in between feedings.)
    Help at night-is there someone to comfort baby after nursing, so you can go back to sleep after nursing even if baby is aroused?
    Can you nurse sidelying? Are you comfortable bedsharing for naps, or all or part of the night? Would you like more info on safety precautions for that?
    Have you tried laid back breastfeeding in bed? Leaning (not lying flat) back and having baby on top of you, cuddling, sleeping or nursing? With some safety precautions, this is another way mom can get some shuteye even with fussy baby.

with LLLMeg.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! I had been getting help during the day at the beginning but I realized I wasn't learning his cues. He goes from 0-60 really quick and when he gets agitated, I have a very hard time getting him on the breast. Family would try to calm him when really he was hungry & needed to be put to the breast. Lately I have kept him near me and have been catching him before he gets too frustrated.
    At night we just can't seem to get things together. I haven't been able to master laid back nursing. He doesn't really work his way to the nipple. I have to put him on as he moves his head back & forth and hits my nipple with his hands. When doing laid back nursing, the baby tends to seek out the breast right? Also, I am scared to death to sleep with him in the bed. I'm afraid he'll end up with a pillow on him or be knocked off of the bed.
    Right now I'm up w/ him & can't get him back to sleep. He ate well and fell asleep in my arms. I waited another 5 minutes then put him down & he started screaming. I had my husband hold him for a bit & he startef rooting. I put him back on but he either falls asleep or fights the breast. He didn't latch properly a few times but when I try to rematch him, he arches his back & screams. This is a typical night and I just don't know how to get out of the cycle.

Laid back does seem to facilitate a baby being able to latch on more naturally or independently, sure. BUT this does not mean you cannot help baby find the breast and latch on! This is a common misconception. Laid back simply means mom is leaning back, reclining, rather than sitting straight up or leaning forward. That is it. How baby is positioned and how much mom helps baby with latch etc. is unlimited. Even mom's degree of lean is going to vary, with some moms preferring only a slight lean and other more. Some moms find that latching baby first and then leaning back works as well. In other words, you do what works for you. Here is more info: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf nice video: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

So, pillows. Ok, you can remove pillows entirely. But if a pillow is under your head, it is unlikely to migrate down to where baby is nursing at your breast when sidelying. If baby is on top of you, again, unlikely a pillow that is under you is going to get near baby. Blankets are more of a concern. Avoid heavy blankets or comforters when bedsharing, you can also try having one (light) blanket on you and a small baby blanket for baby to avoid baby getting covered if you pull your blanket up.

Falling: This is actually rare, as babies are heat seeking and tend to snuggle in to mom rather than away. But you can minimize this risk be moving your self more to the middle of the bed so baby is not on the edge. Some guidelines suggest not putting baby between two adults, others are less specific, but in any bedsharing situation, both adults & their condition must be considered (assuming there are two.) James McKenna has more safety ideas. Personally I used a mesh guard rail, one that attached firmly to the mattress so it made no gap for baby to get into. Gaps that baby may roll into and become entrapped in, face down, are a real risk when baby is sleeping with mom on an adult bed, so you want to look at your bed and figure out where such places are and what to do make them safer. This is also why co-sleeping on a couch or chair is not suggested. Again, this article has more info. There are things you may not think of that can be a concern, so I suggest reading this information. http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/ Also, Some moms find putting a bassinet next to the bed or using a co-sleeper is more comfortable for them.

As far as baby on top of you, you want to make sure the surface is safe as with sidelying, just in case baby rolls off of you (unlikely, but possible) It is also important you are not laying flat, but are leaning back securely on some supportive, firm pillows or back rest. Baby face down on mom when mom is lying too flatly is not safe.

I waited another 5 minutes then put him down & he started screaming.
    This is pretty normal. Sometimes, it helps to wait longer to put baby down. But many babies simply do not sleep well lying on their own. If you think baby is in pain, you can try burping baby more, or talking to baby's doctor about reflux. But baby's are designed by nature to expect to be held pretty much all the time, because back in days when we lived in caves and trees, the babies who were held were the ones who survived.
    This is a typical night and I just don't know how to get out of the cycle.
    It is not a cycle, this is pretty typical newborn behavior and baby will grow out of it. Nights are often the worst, for everyone.

Baby is gaining ok and breastfeeding is otherwise going well? or does baby have issues with latching other times?

Get your milk flowing either manually or by pumping your breast milk before your baby starts to eat, so she doesn’t have to work that hard for the milk. Just pump enough to get things dripping you’re not looking to fill a bottle just yet. It is easier way to prevent nipple confusion than to fix it–though it is a problem that can be solved, should it occur . Breastfed babies need not be given artificial nipples during the first three to four weeks when they are learning and perfecting their breastfeeding skills. Avoiding artificial nipples means avoiding pacifiers as well as bottles.

Here is the tips to deal with the nipple confusion related information http://www.momjunction.com/articles/...usion_0091398/. Hope this can give an clear information.