Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ummm, where did my milk go?

Question Ummm, where did my milk go?

My dd will be 9 months old on the 9th and currently weighs 16lbs. 10oz., and is 26" long, gaining normally. She used to nurse 3 times/night but last week began nursing only once and this week has slept thorugh the night every night. I work full time and pump 3 times (every 3 hours) while at work, plus once at night about 2 hours after dd last nurses. I usually pump about 9-10oz. each day.

DD began solids once/day at 6 months, and at 8 months (06/07/14) began getting solids twice/day, so her milk intake at daycare went from 10oz. to about 7-8oz., but I was still pumping 10 oz./day. However, this week my supply has dropped continually since Monday. I was pumping about 5oz.day, but today I've only pumped 2.5 oz., and I only have 1 more pumping session before I got to bed.

Yesterday I felt period cramps and thought that I must be starting my first pp period (which would explain the drop in supply, right?), but I only had one drop of pink/red blood in the toilet yesterday afternoon, and nothing since.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Ummm, where did my milk go?

First I would suggest check the pump.

Second, yes, some moms report lower supply around period, especially first pp. but it is also so that less frequent milk removal would lead to lower production and return of cycle, so? It's a bit like the chicken and the egg.

If baby has been gradually nursing less and less, that is going to impact milk production. To counter this, you can encourage baby to nurse more often. or, (less fun) pump more often.

I'm going to replace the membranes on the pump, they are probably about due.

I still haven't started my period, although I've been cramping like crazy. I've offered the boob as often as I could all weekend, so hopefully that will help to up my supply. My left side has always produced less, and I've noticed over the weekend that when I'm pump I'm getting practically nothing from my left breast I added an extra pumping in each day this weekend as well, hoping to help jump my supply back up.

I may just have to add another pumping session in during the week. I don't want to wake her in the night to nurse because, quiet honestly, I enjoy the full nights sleep!

UPDATE: I still haven't started my period, and haven't had any more cramping. I took a pregnancy test yesterday just in case, and it was negative. I was able to pump 4 oz. total yesterday, which is 1.5 oz. more than I pumped on Friday so hopefully my supply will continue to increase as the week goes on.