Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing and need help getting baby to breast

Default EPing and need help getting baby to breast

My little guy is 9 weeks old and I have been exclusively pumping for him since birth. He was a week overdue, but due to a placental abruption I had to have an emergency c-section and all the distress landed him in the NICU for a week. I wasn't allowed to try to nurse him until the 2nd or 3rd day, after he had already been given the bottle. When I've tried to nurse my baby, he is able to latch well, but won't suck to get anything or just kind of pacify sucks. I worked with multiple lactation consultants while he was in the hospital, but none were able to help get him nursing or offer any explanation for why he wouldn't. I continued to try at home, but he would latch and then end up pulling off and crying and it would be very frustrating for both of us until I just have him the bottle. Luckily I have had a good supply with piping so far, that I've been able to exclusively feed him breast milk and build up a supply in the freezer, but my supply seems to be starting to drop a little and I really really hate pumping so I would love to be able to get him to nurse from me. I nursed my first child with no problems until he was just over 2 years and I was hoping to be able to do the same with this one but it's not looking like that is going to be possible at this point.

Any help would really be appreciated! I'm desperate to not have to pump constantly!

Thank you!

Default Re: EPing and need help getting baby to breast

Have you tried a cheater feeder or at the breast supplementer that might be able to get him the idea that the breast is where milk comes from? Or even dribbling a little milk there while he is latched on? Or doing a little pumping or hand expression right before latching him on so the milk is ready to go without him having to work to get it flowing at first? Have you tried breast compressions while he is latched on?

Basically most of my suggestions are to see if baby will get the idea to nurse if milk is squirted into his mouth when latched on.