Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep regression and menstruation weirdness

Default Sleep regression and menstruation weirdness

My 9-month-old has been sleeping through the night (12 hours) since about 4 months, with a dream feed around 10 pm until maybe 7 months. A week ago he started waking when we go to bed, and again around 3 or 4 am, wanting a feed each time. Almost right away, I got my period, even though I'd gotten it a week earlier (my periods are only about 3 days since they came back, it's definitely another cycle). Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is my weird menstrual cycle related to the renewed nighttime feeding?

Default Re: Sleep regression and menstruation weirdness

Welcome to the forum!

The night-waking is probably coincidental. If anything, you've been outrageously lucky in having a baby who slept through so early and so consistently. Most babies do increased both night-waking and night-nursing at various points during their first year, particularly during intense teething or when mastering a new developmental milestone.

Are you using any form of hormonal contraception? Irregular light bleeding (a.k.a. breakthrough bleeding) is a really common side-effect of hormonal contraceptives. If you're not using hormonal contrapcetion, have you been doing anything to prevent pregnancy?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh, I know, we've been so lucky with our little guy in so many ways!

Not using hormonal contraception, we're actually trying to conceive. That was the other weird thing, my BBT didn't drop when the first period came, and still hasn't. I took a pregnancy test hoping it was implantation bleeding, but it was negative. Until now, my cycle has been short but regular since it came back in early April.

BBT hasn't dropped? I'm thinking wait a week and test again.

If you're not pregnant, you might want to think about your TTC plans... A large percentage of moms who become pregnant while nursing lose their milk supplies, and that could mean premature weaning. Also, short intervals between pregnancies and births are hard on the body and more likely to result in preterm birth. If you're pregnant, congratulations! If not... Maybe wait a little longer before TTC? That's what I would do, anyway!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"