Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No let-down with pump, getting discouraged

Default No let-down with pump, getting discouraged

This is my second child. With my first I had a HUGE supply, and when I went back to work I pumped way more than he needed, which was great because there was always extra. I never had any trouble letting down with the pump. I was getting 8-10 ounces per pump session from the beginning. Now my second little guy is three months and I'm just starting back to work, and I have had a *really* hard time with the pump. It's the same brand, same model that I used with #1, Ameda, though I've heard that they've outsourced their production and the pumps aren't as good anymore, so maybe that's it? But I just can't let down, and I'm only getting 2-3 ounces per pumping session. It's really discouraging. I want to cry every time I sit down to pump. I have gotten let-down with the pump maybe two times, and both times I got the 8-10 ounces I know I'm producing, but if I don't let down I just can't get much out. I've tried hand expression, breast massage, deep breathing and relaxation, it feels like I just can't win.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement or hope for me? I really need a pep-talk.

Default Re: No let-down with pump, getting discouraged

Well, first of all, 2-3 oz per session is a normal amount, so it is very possible that you just don't have the degree of oversupply that you did with your first.

That said, if you are having difficulties getting a letdown with your pump, I would definitely assume that is the problem. Can you get your hands on a new pump?
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Not that I really would recommend it but if the problem is getting the "let down" then perhaps you could try (if you have a compounding pharmacy around and the Dr will write you a script) a Oxytocin nasal spray. I tried it early on but I can't say that it really had any effect on me though, not pleasant to use either.

Most women don't respond to the pump as well as to baby and as the PP said, 2-3 oz at a pump session really is a "normal" amount. To be able to "fill bottles" at a single pumping session really is not common.

Is the pump you are using now "new" if not can you get all new valves and replaceable parts to re-hab the pump just to make sure it isn't a leaky valve, tubing, or other part causing you problems. Are the breast shields the right size (this can change over time so what worked for baby #1 might be different now.) Or possibly rent a hospital grade pump for a short bit to see if that works better for you while you try to trouble shoot.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to let down at my final pump session today (out of three) and got five ounces total, as opposed to the two I got at both earlier sessions. So at least I know it's possible. I'll keep working on some of the tips given here to see if anything else helps. Feeling less discouraged than a few hours ago!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*forgetfuljones View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I was able to let down at my final pump session today (out of three) and got five ounces total, as opposed to the two I got at both earlier sessions. So at least I know it's possible. I'll keep working on some of the tips given here to see if anything else helps. Feeling less discouraged than a few hours ago!
    How long or how much have you been trying to pump this time around? Remember that pumping (and learning to let down with the pump) can take practice. Even though you were extra ordinary at it first baby round, you probably weren't immediately great at it back then, and nursing is usually different each time round too so having to practice at it this time is probably normal.

Hang in there, if you are able to pump 5 oz at a pumping session and you pump as often as baby will be eating while you are apart you will have no problem keeping up once you get the hang of it again.

I actually envy you being able to pump even 2 oz at a sitting, I've not responded to pumps well at all myself. My LO is going on 4 months and the most I've ever pumped at one sitting is 1 3/4 oz total. (Doing weigh feed weigh I've seen baby get 3.8 oz at one feeding before) If we were a milking herd, I wouldn't be kept

Have you tried using a heat pack or warm compress right before or even curing pumping? I don't think I actually managed to pump more using them (because they make it so I can't really do compressions and massage during) but I do think my let downs happened quicker when I used them.

Have you tried manually stimulating your nipples before pumping? That always gives me a letdown. I only get 1 letdown from the pump but since that doesn't yield enough I have to manually give myself another 1-2 letdowns per session. This way I end up with the amount I need.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.