Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE help..screaming baby and no milk :(

Default PLEASE help..screaming baby and no milk :(

Does anyone have any suggestions or encouragment...
    my son 7 weeks..I think he's having a growth spurt..been nursing VERY often and sleeping and nursing...He wakes up screaming from his little short naps..
    He has drank all the milk and hes screaming now unconsolably because its gone! HOw long does it take to make more milk??? I haven't every given him any formula and doubt I'll have to, but this is REALLY hard to watch
    why is my milk running out??or taking so long to come back..
    please help me

Owensmum

Default Re: PLEASE help..screaming baby and no milk :(

Hi Mommy! It'll be okay! I promise...put LO at the breast if you can, letting him suck will stimulate supply. He is probobly having a growth spurt which may last anywhere from 2-7 days. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting lots of rest.

No need to give him formula either. Your milk will fill based on you letting him suck so to speak...supply and demand. HTH let us know how it goes.

Yes I agree. At about seven weeks old my lo had a growth spurt and did the same thing. Hang in there!

Don't worry it will be ok! No need for formula momma. Just keep putting him to the breast. If you are really worried perhaps you could pump and give him a bottle if he takes one? But it really isn't necessary. This too shall pass.

Well, after I posted, I decided to stick him in this new (used) sling I just got..
    he likes sitting in it because it doesn't confine him too much its an older one i think..Koala Sling. Its like wearing a big bag on your side I find.(If I had put him in the ring sling, he would have gotten even more upset~) I took him outside and we walked up and down the street in the cooler air, he started to calm down and was looking at all the christmas lights then started to fall asleep..thank God!!
    So we kept walking, he slept.. and then I brought him back inside where we lay back on the sofa and then I started to fall asleep..after a bit of relaxing I felt that painfull tingling of milk coming in..and he woke up about 15 mins later and had a nice snack and went back to sleep for many many hours!!
    Thanks for the encouragment..

Good to hear mama...
    Another idea is getting him all sleepy like that and nursing him in his "sleep". Babies are very efficient like that...its amazing, I can kinda put my boob out when DS is sleeping and he turns his head, latches and bam he is eating...all with out waking up!
    I also encourage you to put baby to breast even before you feel the tingling of your milk coming in...if he seems hungry, you don't have to wait for that "full" feeling. Your boobs are never truly "empty" and the stimulation will cause a letdown. HTH Thanks for the Report!!

YEA for you and your LO!!
    You can do it just keep it up. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago when my LO had a growth spurt and I was worried she was not getting enough. She gained just over a pound that week so clearly she was! Keep it up and make sure you drink plenty of water. For my breast it seems like milk is only produced when I am drinking water. I doubt this is really the case but it feels that way!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk