Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Involution and discomfort

Default Re: Involution and discomfort

Quote Originally Posted by mommal
    I hear you about the high deductible. Paying those bills is painful, believe me, I know!!! But now is the time to say "f*** the deductible". You need to have data so that you can make the right choices about your health. Otherwise you're choosing blindly, and those decisions are rarely good ones. I think you absolutely do need to have your prolactin levels done, and if you want to be really proactive, go and see an endocrinologist.
    I agree. This is what I'd do, given the information you've provided:

1. See endocrinologist and get prolactin test. Pump sparingly if breasts painful in the meantime.

2. Send a sample of the pumping product to a lab for culture/analysis.
    2. a)If you have an infection, see doctor for antibiotics.
    b) If not infected, no abx.

3. After steps 1-2b, if you want to keep nursing, do! If not, that's okay, too!

4. Regardless of your choice for 3, I'd snuggle my little girl like there's no tomorrow. Indulge her in all sorts of loving gestures that don't involve nursing, like cuddling and reading books, singing songs together, building something together, cooking together, etc

Hugs!!!!

Remember, 3.75 years of nursing is a formidable, rare gift to your daughter. Here in Canada, a touch less than 15% of mothers get to 1 year. The number of children getting the intensive nursing-love that you've given your DD is small--she's one of the luckiest children around! I've come to believe that nursing is a tool designed to kindle love in the hearts of a mother and her child. That never dies--it only keeps growing!

Thank you again! If I private message a link to pics...does anyone know if they could tell me if it at least looks like colostrum or something else on my nipple when I pumped? I did not start pumping until I was nursing for a few weeks so I never paid attention to what colostrum looks like. I am uncomfortable.

I, personally....would love to keep nursing my daughter. I enjoyed it and miss it terribly. I know she enjoyed it too...we were down to morning and night and then just night. But, do you think that asking her if she wants to nurse again could be negative to her since she is finally doing ok without it? At first she would say...I want to be a baby again so I can have milkies. It made me sad. And, yes...I do have a lot of anxiety, I also have a lot of responsibilities that I cannot ever get a break from...and no one around to help. I often do not get enough sleep because I stay up late "catching up" on things I couldn't get to during the day. I have been trying to get to bed early and going for a walk with our dog before my husband goes to work for a few minutes of "me time" before I start my day. Another reason we decided to wait on a second child...I know that I can only handle so much! My husband was having health issues too recently and blood work so it is just a lot. He often comes home and falls asleep on the couch and I just kick in with my second or third wind. Then with the medical expenses...I try to work more to cover any extra...draining myself further.

I will admit that with the anxiety I am very depressed and sometimes just feel like I need to cry. I've cried a bunch today already. Having a bold 3-year-old who is constantly testing the waters doesn't help much either. I get overwhelmed and shut down... I was told that when my levels are regulated I should feel better. I used to work a very high stress job with many responsibilities before becoming a SAHM. So, it is hard for me to accept that I cannot "do it all", all the time at home. And, I literally...do it all.

In order to get more of that stuff I will need to pump again I think. I can try to hand express but it is easier with the pump on low. Would the doctor send the specimen for testing...what do I put it on/in... a baggie? And, what will the prolactin levels tell me?

Thank you.
    Jaime
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

I am sorry, I personally do not feel comfortable trying to analyze a substance from a picture. Again, if there is any doubt, I do not know how you can go forward without having it tested, or at least, examined in "person" by a professional. Maybe an IBCLC? The look of colostrum varies. Also- I would be very surprised you were pregnant and far enough along to be producing colostrum and have a neg. preg. test. As far as collection/storage procedures, that you will have to get from the lab.

It sounds to me that you weaned just over 6 weeks ago. So I think it is safe to say you were lactating until then? even if it was very little. Your child may have been saying 'no milk' but, that does not mean there really was no milk at all.

So, its been 6 weeks, about. According to the study cited in BAMS, some mothers normally produce milk for up to 6 weeks past weaning date. That is what the study showed. We know anecdotally that some mothers who have weaned their child produce milk long after that. Years, sometimes. Not lots of milk, but some. Enough to express it now and then and say "wow, that's milk."

According to the article mommal linked above, even the definition of glactorrhea is on some doubt: (underline mine)
    “Galactorrhea is nonlactational milk production, which is usually defined as milk production one year after pregnancy and cessation of breastfeeding. It can also occur in nulliparous and postmenopausal women, and even in men.1 The incidence is variable, but it can occur in up to 90 percent of women with hyperprolactinemia.2 The marked variability is likely a result of the difference in how the milk is expressed and how galactorrhea is defined."

Your medical and hormonal issues are beyond my knowledge, but I am pretty up on breastfeeding issues and breastmilk. "Normal" breastmilk comes in many varieties. it can look thick, watery, fatty, white, yellowish, clear, bluish, bloody, sometimes other colors. It varies. So I keep suspecting that, at least breast wise, what is going on is just ... milk. From normal lactation. Milk that has possibly been made in small amounts, over the last several weeks, and left to sit in your breasts, because you are not expressing or nursing, as you would not be, because your child has weaned. milk that is going through the chemical changes of involution, (which I also JUST learned about from what mommal has posted and reading the info I posted above) and maybe with the added crinkle that a bit more was made recently due to your body's changes from the meds. If I were a betting woman, that is where I'd be putting my chips. If there is milk sitting around in the breasts, that may cause plugs and/or some pain or at least discomfort. Normally.

personally, here is what I would do if had weaned my child, was seeing what looked like a bleb/plug, and/or feeling heavy and sore from what I thought was probably unexpressed milk.

Pump gently, and/or hand express, one time, until my breasts felt empty or at least, no longer heavy. I would stop if it started to hurt to express. Otherwise, that is what I would do. Empty the breasts, one time. Along with other techniques for dealing with plugs so I was sure to get any plugs. I would do this expression once, or maybe a few times in a cluster, all in the same few hours, just to be sure I got most of it.

Then, I would wait a few days, and reassess, pumping or hand expressing just to comfort, If needed, as needed. Which means, Just a little so as to not feel uncomfortable again.

Here is what I would NOT worry about. Restarting milk production. So what? If milk production started up due to my occasional pumping for comfort and to avoid plugs, and I was wanting to keep my milk production fading away, I would simply rethink how often and how much I pumped.

But, do you think that asking her if she wants to nurse again could be negative to her since she is finally doing ok without it?
    No. You know your daughter best, but It never hurts to offer, IMO. She may or may not want to nurse again. She may find latching and extracting milk beyond her (some kids lose this ability fairly quickly when weaned at age two or older.) She may find the milk is no longer to her taste. Whatever. So do not assume if you offer again, she will nurse again. If she does nurse again, then I would suggest, what would be a bit unfair is to actively wean her again anytime soon. (Unless in the rare situation it is a medical necessity of course.)

But I also think it is a perfectly valid and loving choice to NOT offer to nurse again, as alphawoman says, you have nursed your daughter a good long time and the benefits will last a lifetime.

I guess the question to ask yourself is-"at this point, would nursing my daughter again make my life overall easier, or harder?" I would also say, nursing need not be all or nothing. If you want to nurse when it works for you, rather than cue nurse, which sounds like what you were already doing, I think that is totally fine, as long as you are clear and fairly consistent (so, If you have told your daughter for example "nursing is for bed time only" or "Nursing is for morning , naptime and bedtime" or some variation, really try to happily offer to nurse your child at least those times, assuming she wants to.)

If I private message a link to pics...does anyone know if they could tell me if it at least looks like colostrum or something else on my nipple when I pumped?
    You can PM me if you like.

But, do you think that asking her if she wants to nurse again could be negative to her since she is finally doing ok without it?
    I really doubt it.

I was told that when my levels are regulated I should feel better
    I think that is true. It's just really early to expect things to be better!

In order to get more of that stuff I will need to pump again I think. I can try to hand express but it is easier with the pump on low. Would the doctor send the specimen for testing...what do I put it on/in... a baggie?
    Before you do this, talk to your doctor. You want to know how much they need and what sort of container they'd like to have it in.

And, what will the prolactin levels tell me?
    High prolactin after weaning could indicate a health problem that would warrant further investigation by your doctor. You can read up on all the scary possibilities here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinaemia
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions...hyroid-health/
    The other women are far more experienced than I. Just curious if you've added iodine as well as going gluten free?