Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very worried milk supply decreasing

Default Very worried milk supply decreasing

Hello mamas, I'm very concerned about my milk supply. Baby girl is 9 months 2wks. She has always been EBF. She's always gained weight with no problem. However; I've noticed within the last week n half my breast don't get hard or fill full ever anymore. I'm behind worried and freaking out WHAT DOES THIS MEAN! I'm I losing supply? No matter what even when my baby girl would eat every 2-3 hours my breast felt full as they were filling up. Yes, I've had many times when they were very soft as we'll. However, now for almost 2 weeks they are super soft. My left breast she seems to tug more, and pushes her faces completely into that boob as if there hardly milk. It seems too me as if she's trying to get milk. After a bit she will just let go. This was not the case ever before. I've always been very good putting her on the breast every 2 hrs or when ever she wanted. Which was all the time it seemed.

I'm very stressed out about this. Im not at all ready to stop Breastfeeding. Why is this happening? I've always been concerned with the whole solid food intake and concerned how it would affect my milk supply. When she was 6 months doc wanted my to give her solids 3x daily. I never agreed with this. So I didn't follow through. She was getting a bit constipated and doc had me add more fibers and juices to soften stools and make her go more often. Around 8 months I started giving her more solids 3 x daily but mamas milk first before her meals. I've still always been very worried about doing this. At the same time I'm worried that by not giving her solids I was starving her in some way. Cause when I eat something she notices. I'm very conflicted about the whole solids and how too keep milk supply strong.

Like I said I've never seen any kind of issue before everything was fine. However; the last 1wk n half, I've noticed milk supply very different. I've also noticed that my eyes have been beyond dry to the point I feel them burning. My skin on my face has looked very stressed out, and under my eyes I've become very wrinkled and crows feet. Which I never had before. I'm way too young for this too be happening. My skin has become very sensitive. This has all happened maybe roughly around 2 weeks and I've noticed the change in breast milk and feel of breast since then. Honestly my water in take the last week n half hasn't been great like usual. So, I was blaming myself for not drinking enough water. I believe I was dehydrated. I'm drinking an excessive amount of water now and they still are very soft. This isn't how they would react before. If she went longer or skipped a feeding they always would become full and sometimes leak. It's not happening now. Ugh, I want to cry so bad. Actually I've been crying!

Another issue that has completely worried me about losing supply. Since around her 8month mark. She started sleeping longer at night. She was only waking 1 time to feed. Could this have decreased my supply and now it's diminishing. Should I start waking her up like she would before too feed? Or should I start pumping at night? I honestly I'm so scared and sad. I don't know what to do. I feel completely helpless.

I know I've written a bible it seems. However; I wanted to fully explain and not forget anything. Oh one more thing. I've noticed my nipples staying hard now. And I'm not leaking when just about a week n half ago I still would leak not all the time, but it would happen. Now nothing! I'm seriously wanting to stop all solids and just EBF once again. But I'm afraid my little one will become constipated all over again. That's the only reason I've been giving solids 3x daily. Has this maybe been my wrong doing?
    This shouldn't be stressing me out. I should be enjoying breastfeeding till I'm ready to stop. I just want to cry, cry. Please help!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*american.honey; September 14th, 2014 at 03:39 AM.

Default Re: Very worried milk supply decreasing

This all sounds normal for a 9 month-old baby. Once you've been nursing for a while, it's totally normal to rarely or never feel full and to rarely or never leak. Your body is smart. It wants to make just a much milk as your baby needs, and not a lot more, because making extra milk is a waste of energy and puts you at higher risk of conditions like plugged ducts and mastitis. By 9 months, your body has had lots of time to fine-tune your supply so that it meets baby's needs really exactly.

As long as your baby seems happy and satisfied while nursing, and is eager to nurse, there's no reason to stop nursing. Yes, she may be taking in less milk than when she was an exclusively breastfed baby, but that's okay! The transition to eating more solids eventually results in baby nursing less- this is why in the UK they refer to starting solids as "weaning"- it's a recognition that the journey from being an EBF baby to being a kid who ears nothing but solids starts with a baby's first tastes of solids and continues for months or years, as milk intake gradually falls and solid food intake ramps up.

If you would like to wake your baby to nurse, go right ahead. But you don't need to. Just try to stay hydrated and observe yourself carefully for other health changes- whenever a mom says something like "my skin feels dry" I think to myself "I wonder if she's had her thyroid tested?" because a) I am the crazy thyroid lady and b) IMO postpartum thyroiditis is significantly underdiagnosed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. Not feeling hard or full at pp 9 months is not unusual at all! In fact this happens for many moms months earlier.

Watch your water intake. Dehydration is of course to be avoided. But there is no need to drink excessively and doing so will not do anything for milk production. Your body need ENOUGH water. Not too much!

Personally I always had over production, but with my last baby I did start to feel a definite slump in production during her second year. She was still nursing a ton, that was not the issue. So I started taking herbal galactagogues just to give me that extra boost.

I really do appreciate the responses. I know you both are saying it's very normal, but this just happened so unexpectedly. And I honestly know my body and how it was producing and reacting up until now. That's what is so alarming. It just happened from one day to the next.

So now my question too you both, how do I increase my supply? My goal is too BF till she is 2 yrs old. So, I need to keep my supply in tip top shape. I honestly believe my water in take had something to factor in with this change. Does it mean It will never be the same again?

Also, any other advise is greatly appreciated. Oh by the way Maddieb, what is Galactagogues and is it safe for both mother and baby? Where can I buy? Do you ladies think I should start up my prenatals once again? I had stopped around 6 months.

The adjustment in supply can happen overnight- literally! It naturally throws a lot of people for a loop when it happens that fast.

The best way to have enough milk is to nurse on demand. That's really all that is required for the vast majority of mothers. If you're questioning whether or not you have enough, just watch your baby's wet diaper output and try to throw in a few more feedings per day. It may also help to review your birth control choices- sometimes hormonal contraceptives can have a negative impact on supply, and pregnancy may sink it altogether. It may also be a good idea to go and get a checkup yourself, and make sure all is as it should be.

Fenugreek is generally considered safe for both mom and baby, provided there are no blood sugar issues involved.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I really appreciate all the good advise and will keep nursing on demand. We've always nursed frequently, so I guess it's just little phases my body goes through. After about 4 days after this post Breast felt normal once again. I believe I could of been going through my cycle. However; since I have the IUD, I haven't had a period in since my 6 wk check-up. This could definitely be the reason also, right? once again thanks moms for the good advice. Have a blessed day ladies.

Do you have the Mirena IUD? Some moms find that Mirena has a negative impact on supply. It's not supposed to, but there's pretty good anecdotal evidence that some moms find it problematic.

Sounds like a hormonal shift. Did you just get your period back? Or you could be getting it now. I have these sudden drops like you describe almost every month but no period actually comes. The skin changes you describe are also leading me to think it's hormonal. I also had different discharge when this happened. When this happened to me, nursing more frequently did not do a thing for me. It just naturally came back within a few days no matter what I did or didn't do. Could be something similar is happening to you. When it's hormonal (i.e. not a decrease in demand) all the tricks in the book don't seem to work.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Do you have the Mirena IUD? Some moms find that Mirena has a negative impact on supply. It's not supposed to, but there's pretty good anecdotal evidence that some moms find it problematic.
    I've heard this before, that minipill and IUDs can impact supply. However, I never really took that as a good answer because I've been taking the minipill since my 6-week visit. OP has also been on the IUD since 6-week visit. So why would it suddenly decided 9 months later to affect supply?

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Yes, I have the Mirena IUD. I got it since my 6 week check-up. I honestly don't think its that, since I don't feel it was an issue before. Do you think at after 10 months it could be affecting me now mommal?

I pray to God that it's something simple. I just tried to pump at 3:55am -4:05am and I only got 1 oz from each boob. I was freaking out before. Now I'm totally a mess. I've never pumped from each boob such little amounts.

Ruchiccio, you brig up a great point! Could it be hormonal? I honestly haven't had an actually period since getting this Mirena IUD; which I think is totally throwing my system off. However; I have noticed that my tummy has slight pains as if I'm cramping here and there. I noticed this last month also, now that I think of it. Honestly, I'm not too sure though.

I have been giving my baby girl solids 3x daily. So I'm worried that she is weaning off her milk. I always give her milk first then solids. I use to not give so much solids, but she sees me eat and she just watches and seems interested now. She doesn't eat so much at every serving, but still could this be the issue? I feel like I still don't know what I'm doing with this whole solids and not weaning baby off milk issue. Obviously something is happening and I just pray she's not weaning off. Hope, I am making the issue bigger than it really is. Im just losing my mind right now.

By the way Ruchiccio, how did you post a pic of your beautiful baby boy? I like that!