Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very Sudden Supply Drop

Default Very Sudden Supply Drop

Over the past 3 days, my supply has suddenly dropped. I pump almost exclusively during the week and primarily nurse on the weekends. I've never had a great supply and only got 10-12oz daily. However, the past 2 days I'm lucky to get 8oz all day. I don't think it's an issue with my pump as my breasts don't even feel full anymore between pumpings. My doctor had me on Reglan in addition to Fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, and lactation cookies. I just finished the Reglan 4 days ago, which had been a 30 day prescription. It only boosted my supply an extra ounce or two while I was on it. Prior to that I had always been able to pump at least 10 oz. This is my second child and I was unable to nurse with my first because I never got a good supply, so I'm hoping for some more experienced mommy advice!

Some background, my son is 3 1/2 months. He's been getting a combination of breastmilk and formula since about 2 weeks.
    Monday-Friday I pump once in the morning before work, 3 times during the day, and at least 2 more times before I go to bed. My son sleeps all night so unless I get up for something, I don't do a feeding/pump session overnight. On the weekends I primarily nurse and only pump enough to have milk to start my week on Monday.

Default Re: Very Sudden Supply Drop

The first thing that jumps out at me from your post is that your baby sleeps all night. Which is probably delightful, but comes with a couple significant downsides. First, a long stretch of no nursing and no pumping signals your body that demand is low, and this therefore bad for supply. Second, no nursing at night means that your baby is concentrating all his feeding during the day, which means that you have to to ode an unrealistic amount of milk (or milk plus formula).

Some questions for you:
    - How long are you separated from your baby?
    - If you woke your baby at night, would he nurse?
    - Where does baby sleep?
    - Does he sleep swaddled, or sleep with a pacifier?
    - How many oz of breastmilk, and how many oz of formula, does he get during the day?
    - What sort of pump are you using? And is it new?
    - How does pumping feel? Is there ever a loss of suction as you pump? Do the shields ever feel uncomfortably tight?