Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk is low and nothing seems to be helping

Default Milk is low and nothing seems to be helping

My son is 6 months old. For the past 2 months he didn't gain any weight. The dr says that I need to give him formula. Someone let me borrow a scale so that I can weight my son before and after feedings to see what he had to eaten. Most of the time the scale showed that he hadn't even eaten an ounce. So I'm assuming my supply has dwindled drastically. I'm pretty sure it's from when I went back to work: The stress added to the lack of pumping.

To make sure that my son was getting what he needed to eat, I started pumping my milk and giving it to him in bottles. One of the problems is that When I pump Im lucky if I get an ounce between the two. I have a hygea medical pump. I pump everytime my son eats and I pump 5 min past the last drop. I'm pretty sure I get a let down early on In the pumping session; the milk comes out in sprays instead of drips, but it doesn't last longer than a few min. I am also taking fenugreek (3 2x a day), drinking mother's milk tea 2 x a day, eating oatmeal and flax seed. I don't see any of this helping.

I'm not sure what else I can do. If I can't get my supply back I'm going to have to stop. I'm pumping maybe 7-8 oz a day and my son is eating 20. I know that half is better than non, but I'm spending so much time pumping that I don't get much time with him. I don't want to give up. Can anyone help?

Default Re: Milk is low and nothing seems to be helping

Do you mean you are EPing now? no nursing? Are you 100% sure your pump is effective, correctly sized, and in perfect working order?

There are many reasons for low milk production, and many reasons a baby might not gain normally aside from low milk production.

To help you figure this out better, it would probably help to consult with an IBCLC. Is that possible?

I would also suggest this book : Making More Milk.

I'm not 100% of anything. For the past few days I have been EPing so that I could see exactly what he was eating since the scale kept showing that he only ate an ounce. I've been searching for someone to help without any success.

I've left a message with out hospitals IBCLC. I'm waiting for her reply. If she doesn't contact me today I may try to find one that has a private practice.

Thank you for suggesting it. It made me do a search online and I've found several that I might be able to try.

Did you look here: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Any LLL in your area? WIC? (or other public health service for mothers and babies) Breastfeeding coalitions?

Hospital based LCs work for the hospital. They may or may not be available for outpatient consults.

Some insurers will pay some of the cost to see an IBCLC.