Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dr. says reflux, I say lip tie - what do you think?

Default Dr. says reflux, I say lip tie - what do you think?

My 11 wo daughter had difficultly latching from the start at the hospital. Ended up using a shield for five weeks. She's always been fussy, gassy and now spits up constantly - now she will refuse to nurse. I asked about lip and tongue tie from the start but the LC said they would have noticed a problem right away if that was the case - not sure if she actually checked.

What do you say? photo (1).JPG

Default Re: Dr. says reflux, I say lip tie - what do you think?

I'm not an expert, but that looks like a lip tie to me. Have you checked out the website kiddsteeth.com? Dr. Kotlow has a lot of great articles and pics on the site about lip/tongue ties and their possible affects on breastfeeding. There's a good blogpost here http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html about upper lip ties.

If you're interested in having it released, I would suggest looking for a dentist in your area that is familiar with lip/tongue ties and is able to laser it. Good luck, and please check back to let us know how things go!

Default Re: Dr. says reflux, I say lip tie - what do you think?

When your LO nurses, how does it feel? If it feels okay, I'd be hesitant to assume a tie based on appearance alone. Gassiness, fussiness, and spitting up are so common- and generally so normal- that they aren't good indicators of anything.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"