Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estrogen Dominance after Extended Nursing?

Default Re: Estrogen Dominance after Extended Nursing?

I did just look up involution and it is talking about milk stasis and how you can get an infection if not relieved. I would have never pumped if I did not feel so uncomfortable. Not quite sure what the right thing to do is.

http://books.google.com/books?id=eNH...eeding&f=false
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

If you are uncomfortable, there is no reason to not express your milk. Your LC said it was ok, and you are feeling uncomfortable. I don't see how this is the wrong thing to do.

As mommal says, if you keep pumping, that will (probably) lead to you body producing more milk. This may or may not be what you want, so she was just pointing it out. I think. Don't want to speak for mommal but that is what I assume.

Even if you did temporarily increase your milk production by expressing your milk, it will decrease again when you stop expressing. In other words, there is nothing wrong with expressing your milk, or nursing, if your child wished, as far as I am aware.

But pumping (or hand expressing) to relieve pressure from unextracted milk is fine, and yes, is probably a good idea if you are feeling as if you may get plugs. Some milk may also reabsorb into your body, given time, but whether this will work best for you probably depends on how much there is, which you would probably best tell by how uncomfortable you feel.

If you had an infection so bad you were having pus created that could be pumped from your breasts, I think you would be exceedingly ill and in incredible pain. But, I do think a person should always get examined by thier hcp if it is suspected there is something wrong with the breasts or an infection present, because there could be something more serious going on.

here is info on involution from Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, lactation textbook by Nancy Morhbacher.

"As baby weans, the glandular tissue in the breast involutes, which means the milk-making glands shut down and the breast reverts to it's pre-pregnancy state. First the milk-making cells (lactocytes) die, and then the fat cells in the breast differentiate to fill the space they occupied, changing the internal landscape of the breast. (Watson, 2006) As milk production slows and stops, the milk increases in sodium, chloride, fat, and protein and decreases in lactose and potassium (Hartmann & Kulski, 1978).

After complete weaning, mothers can usually express milk for at least 6 weeks (Kent, 2007). Anecdotally, women have reported being able to express a little milk for years after lactation ended."
    -BAMS, 2010.

The doctor's office also suggested I have my prolactin levels checked too. Lactation said that high prolactin might be halting my ability to get pregnant too. So, now with the uncomfortableness, I am not sure what I am supposed to do.
    Well, getting your prolactin checked is the obvious first step, right? High prolactin could explain why you're suddenly feeling full, and if you're still having menstrual irregularities or you're having trouble achieving pregnancy, high prolactin could also explain those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    As mommal says, if you keep pumping, that will (probably) lead to you body producing more milk. This may or may not be what you want, so she was just pointing it out. I think. Don't want to speak for mommal but that is what I assume.
    Yes, this exactly!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So, if I'm following, the dr thinks that your newly normalized thyroid levels may be stimulating relactation? And you're feeling engorged? And you're hoping to get pg? And you're pumping just a little to relieve the pressure?

I guess I wonder if you'd like to relactate? And if so, what would this do to your fertility? And if not, how can you relieve the pressure with the bare-minimum of stimulation (hand expression? I've heard of folks using pseudoepherine to dry up milk.).

To update.

I felt really uncomfortable again yesterday so I decided to pump again yesterday. When I say pump though... I am not really getting anything. The first time I tried ( 3 days ago) to pump I only got a thick yellowish substance that actually just stayed on my nipple. There was not alot of it. I wiped myself and tried again since I saw more and I got a bit more stuff. I did not pump the day after but yesterday felt very uncomfortable and tried again...this time... I only got an even smaller amount but this time from one side only. I keep getting that uncomfortable/full feeling and that is why I was concerned. I am not quite sure why during and after pumping on low for only a short amount of time made me feel better (unless it is just in my head) since I really did not get anything out. But, already today I am uncomfortable again. I am going to try to let it go though and see if it subsides.

The lactation consultant locally was concerned that during my weaning...being diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which may have slowed or halted my milk production) and then getting treated with hormones to regulate..may have started things back up. However, after sending the pics to someone knowledgeable...I was told that the small amount I did express looks like involution milk. Not sure why I am uncomfortable...but, I always seem to feel changes in my body if that makes any sense. I can usually tell when I am ovulating and never have kept a schedule or calendar with my menstrual cycle but kind of just feel when it is coming on. I know...this probably makes no sense.

But, I am looking into possibly having my prolactin levels checked. But, not sure if they are out of sorts since my thyroid is still not regulated. I am still on the lowest does of Armour that I started June 12th. I have also started to reduce gluten in my diet to help with the Hashimotos. And, yes...we would like to have another baby. I had my daughter at 31 and I just turned 35 in April.

Thanks!
    Jaime
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

What if the fullness/soreness you're feeling is unrelated to the presence of milk? You've pumped several times and each time you have gotten only minimal amounts of milk. That suggests that the milk just isn't there in large quantities, and something else is making you sore.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What if the fullness/soreness you're feeling is unrelated to the presence of milk? You've pumped several times and each time you have gotten only minimal amounts of milk. That suggests that the milk just isn't there in large quantities, and something else is making you sore.
    Yes, I agree. You should talk to your doctor about the breast tenderness/fullness. Maybe it's a side effect of the Hashimoto's or the medications. I just googled "hashimoto's and breast tenderness" and the link below lists breast tenderness as a less common side effect of hypothyrodism.

http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/disorders.html
    Jessi, working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.