Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teacher breastfeeding of 14 months

Default Teacher breastfeeding of 14 months

Okay, ladies, I need some help.

My sweet boy was born April 20, 2013. I am a teacher so I had a nice summer off and didn't have to leave him until the end of August when I had to report back to school. He was exclusively breastfed. When I returned to work, I pumped during the day and we would nurse while I was home.

Since I have been back on break, we have kicked bottles to the curb. He drinks water out of his cups but we still nurse at his discretion and for naps and bedtime. I want to try to get him off his nursing to sleep habits. When I go back to work after this summer, I am starting a grad program and running around more than I had to this past year. I would still like to nurse at night and or weekends, but I will not be pumping at work and I don't want to give him bottles or a sippy to sleep.

Currently, he has to fall asleep with either boob or the bottle if I'm not around. Fun fact, he HATES the car. Will scream bloody murder. Isn't fond of strollers either. Anything that straps him in he will not take kindly too.

Any tips, advice, help? Id like to start transitioning him sooner rather than later so we have a couple months to figure out what works.

Default Re: Teacher breastfeeding of 14 months

Hi. welcome to the forum!
    I think that basically, children this age usually require comforting to sleep. When this cannot be with the breast, there are many other strategies for gentling a child into sleep. What will work best depends on the child and the caregiver.
    I also suggest that nursing to sleep is not a "habit." Thinking of it this way suggests the idea that if a child nurses to sleep ANY of the time, a child must nurse to sleep ALL of the time. But this is not true. Your child may hate the car, but many children who regularly nurse to sleep when that is an option, will indeed fall asleep in the car, stroller, backpack, highchair, while being walked around or rocked, being read or sung to on the couch, on the floor, in the middle of their own 1st birthday party etc. Some may need a sucking substitute, and in that case, when nursing is not available, a pacifier may help.
    Assuming they are allowed to, nursing to sleep is something many (possibly most) children will do because of the intense need to suckle for comfort young human children have developed as a species survival strategy. So, when it works for you, I would suggest it is fine to continue to nurse your child to sleep while using other strategies for other times. Of course, some children, it is true, accept no substitutes.
    A book(s) many moms have found helpful for finding alternatives to nursing to sleep is The No-Cry Sleep Solution, or The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers, both By Elizabeth Pantley. Either would be fine for your situation.