Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disagreement w husband re:BLW

Default Re: Disagreement w husband re:BLW

Yes, I suspect I'm making a mountain out of a molehill! She's only eating solids once a day at dinner, and not even every day. He's always home for dinner. When we add a second "meal" (not sure when that'll be) he won't be there and so she can do it all herself. I like the idea of a smaller dish of food during dinner. I think I get upset watching all that food go into her mouth when I only intended for her to smear it around! By dinner time I'm also a little frazzled. But I'm sure he is too.

When do people add a second meal anyway? She's doing great on breastmilk.

I usually let my daughter fool around with food whenever I was eating, if she was awake, from about 7 mo. It kept her busy and participating in what I was doing, and allowed me to eat in peace (kind of). So if I was eating 3 meals a day she was too (not necesarrily eating, but in highchair with food), from about 7 months I think. Of course this is not necessary but I really like to eat with both hands free and no kids on my lap so this was a way to do it.

When do people add a second meal anyway? She's doing great on breastmilk
    This is going to vary so much! And it really does not matter, I think you can move as fast or slow as you choose and baby indicates. If you are (mostly) doing baby led and keep encouraging/allowing baby to nurse as much as baby wants, there is little danger the solids will lead to baby not nursing enough and harming milk production or baby's gain. It also helps to avoid too much liquid-no juice or milk, and water is also probably not needed if baby is still nursing well. Thirst will compel baby to nurse more too, so that protects breastfeeding as well. Since I never had time to nurse my youngest before meals, I encouraged her to nurse after meals, which she happily did in part to being thirsty.

I added a second meal when I thought I could handle it. So, with my youngest, we started solids baby led less than once a day at 7 months, it was probably a few more months before we gave her own plate at more daily meals with any consistency. But yes, anytime, if she was interested in something on our plates, I gave it to her in a tiny amount assuming it was ok for her age, and if she ate it I would give her a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    This is going to vary so much! And it really does not matter, I think you can move as fast or slow as you choose and baby indicates.
    Ok! That sounds good. I'd rather wait & she seems happy with the 0-1 solid meals a day + gumming on some scraps. Honestly, I'm mostly thinking of solids as something to keep her occupied while we eat dinner!

Thank you!!