Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zinc and iron supplementation recommended

Question zinc and iron supplementation recommended

My DD is 8 months old she is only 17 pounds now,( birth weight 8 pounds, 20.4 inches). She is about 27.9 inches.
    She has gone through a series of colds, diarrhea, viral fevers between 3 to 6 months when she gained weight really erratically. She is not a very voracious feeder (totally BF, just dabbles in solids).
    What concerned me was her screaming and crying and not wanting to sleep at night. Also a certain amount of irratibility in the day.

The doctor feels she is fine, but wants me to supplement with zinc and then iron for about 3 months. Has anybody done a zinc supplementation, I've heard iron but never zinc. We are vegetarians, does it have anything to do with it?

Default Re: zinc and iron supplementation recommended

do you have food allergies in your family?
    sometimes something makes a baby cranky. Was she colicy at birth?
    Has the crying been getting beter or worse?
    Never heard of zinc.. WE did do iron for our dd she had a low iron level.
    I went to the health food store and got something caller flora dix..
    its made out of plants and has natural iron in it. thoose iron drops are just plain gross..
    you might want to check out dr sears fussy baby book
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

I had one baby that was high needs and he just realy needed alot of holding and
    carrying. I didn't have a sling with him but he spent alot of time nursing!
    The more you carry them the less they will cry!

Did your doctor do a test to determine if she needed iron or zinc supplementation?

I am not a doctor, but I have read a lot about vitamins and supplements and things of that nature. The iron your daughter gets in your breastmilk is much better absorbed than any supplement you can give her. I am not sure about the zinc... however I do know that foods like turkey are high in zinc. If it hasn't been done already, ask your doctor to perform a blood test to get exact numbers on your daughter's iron and zinc levels. Until that is done, I wouldn't give supplements.

I actually ran a search on zinc supplements on the net, it says that there is no medical way to determine zinc deficiency, there are symptoms listed which identify it.
    Alas, some of them do match my baby, I am a vegetarian and she is just starting solids so all animal products (which are great sources of zinc and iron) are out.

Apparently zinc deficiency manifests itself also as low appetite, poor growth etc.

Shalini

Here's some info about iron and zinc from the LLL site.

2001 LLLI Conference Session Reports-Session 202: Micronutrient Needs during Infancy: Minerals and Human Milk

Eating Wisely
    Raising a Vegetarian Child

These are quotes from the above article.
    "Eating a wide variety of healthful foods will generally take care of zinc requirements. Foods that are high in protein are usually high in zinc as well. Vegetarian sources include specially fortified cereals, wheat germ, sea vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, cheese, milk, and yogurt, among others (Johnston 1999). There is very little information available on zinc for vegetarian children, but restricting fiber intake somewhat may increase zinc absorption."

"No discussion of vegetarian diets for children would be complete without mentioning iron. Iron deficiency anemia is the most common nutritional deficiency in America. It can affect children regardless of whether they are vegetarian or not (Messina and Messina 183-86). Still, the stereotype of vegetarian children as thin, weak, and pale (all symptoms of anemia) persists. In fact, though meat is the best source of absorbable iron, iron can be found in abundance in plant foods like enriched grains, dried fruits, soy products, broccoli, beans, and nuts. If foods high in iron are served with vitamin C-rich foods or drinks (e.g., orange juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, bell peppers, or watermelon) absorption is greatly improved."

HTH!
    Mary

Thanks Mary, will try out all the foods mentioned and maybe consult some other pediatricians and try out the zinc. My other two daughters (9 and 3) have also been pretty thin, post 6 months, they breastfed well but were fussy eaters , with a slow weight gain 6 months onwards, but their peds weren't concerned so all this did not cross my mind.

I am starting to feel it has something to do with me and my zinc levels, because the patterns are similar, all three of my kids gained weight really well for the first two months and then tapered off.

I read this theory on Dr Jack Newman's website, he blames this on poor latch, producing a slower weight gain after the second month.

Right now its pretty confusing but I need to decide fast about supplementation..

Shalini