Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't Wake my baby for feedings

Default Can't Wake my baby for feedings

I have a 6wk old baby girl and she is feeding well during the day and is on a basic schedule. However, at the first overnight feeding (usually around 2am), I am unable to get her to nurse fully. She does one side and falls asleep so hard I am unable to wake her to finish. This leads to her waking every 1.5 hrs thereafter. I have tried changing her, taking her down to just her diaper, talking/singing to her, playing with her feet (which she hates usually), turning on the lights, and even some cool water on the face. Does anyone have any creative suggestions as to how to wake her so she has a full feeding and sleeps better?

Default Re: Can't Wake my baby for feedings

Well, no good ideas here other than what you've already tried. FWIW, my baby never slept all that well even with a full tummy, so even if you do get the extra milk into her, there's no guarantee she'll sleep much longer. My only advice is to wait it out. At that age, they change so quickly that by the time you figure out a solution to the problem, she'll change it up on you.

Do you co-sleep? That really helped me to nurse at night more easily and get us both back to sleep more quickly. I still woke fully (actually wake, my 12 MO still usually wakes once or twice a night and needs to be nursed back to sleep) every time she nursed, but was back to sleep either before she finished nursing or soon thereafter.

Hang in there, I hope she starts letting you get more sleep soon!

I had this problem with my second baby. I would nurse on one side and she would fall asleep. She would sleep so deeply that I couldn't wake her up at all. I even positioned her on my tummy so that she was upside down and rubber her tummy. This didn't even wake her. I talked to her pediatrician and he told me to take a can of cold soda and put it on her bare back. I thought this was mean at first, then in desperation, I tried it and it worked like a charm. I"m not big on drinking soda so I also used ice cubes and it worked. She would wake up mad as heck and when I put her to the breast it calmed her down and she would nurse herself back to sleep and slept longer at night. I hope this helps.

I had this problem with my second baby. I would nurse on one side and she would fall asleep. She would sleep so deeply that I couldn't wake her up at all. I even positioned her on my tummy so that she was upside down and rubbed her tummy. This didn't even wake her. I talked to her pediatrician and he told me to take a can of cold soda and put it on her bare back. I thought this was mean at first, then in desperation, I tried it and it worked like a charm. I"m not big on drinking soda so I also used ice cubes and it worked. She would wake up mad as heck and when I put her to the breast it calmed her down and she would nurse herself back to sleep and slept longer at night. I hope this helps.

Co-sleeping was the answer for me. I got more sleep and so did my daughter.

My 7.5 mos old ds still wakes roughly every 2 hours even if he does drink a full feeding each time, even after a cluster feeding before bed, even with 2 meals of rice cereal/banana/apple a day.

Co-sleeping has saved me from going completely nuts from lack of sleep...lol