Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions--possible constipation and baby acne

Default 2 questions--possible constipation and baby acne

hey everyone!
    my daughter will be six weeks old on friday and i had mentioned in another one of my posts that i had supplemented the first few weeks of her life in order to make sure she was getting enough to eat/gaining weight.
    she seems to be doing just fine on breast alone but sometimes i'll still give her a little formula.
    with that said, she hasn't had a poo since yesterday. well, she had a very tiny poo but not what i would say was a normal size for her. she's also been extra gassy and passing crazy amounts of gas.
    i researched online and i found that it's only constipation if it lasts for an extended period of time(4 or 5 days,) but she sometimes cries like she has gas pain and i worry it's b/c of the possible constipation.
    is there anything i could do?

also she seems to have a case of baby acne and it's progressively gotten worse--starting with a few here and there to several on her cheeks, neck, chest and scalp. is there anything i can do to treat it? is there anything i might be eating that is making it worse?

thanks, sorry for the long post!

Default Re: 2 questions--possible constipation and baby acne

It is perfectly normal for older babies to go a day or even longer without having a bm...
    " It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby."
    This came from: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

When my daughter gets gassy, I find that mylicon drops help. Also, we lay her on her back and "bicycle" her legs... this helps her release some of the gas (i.e. fart!).

As far as baby acne goes, I'm not sure what causes it but I know my daughter had it pretty bad for several weeks and I was so upset that her beautiful little face looked so bad, but it cleared up after a few weeks and now she has perfect, beautiful skin... so just be patient... this too shall pass!

You can also try massaging her little tummy to release the gas or patting her back as she lays over your thighs belly down.

I've heard that ebm (expressed breast milk) can help with baby acne, but I heard that only after ds got through that stage. I read that just like puberty, the increased hormnes at birth may cause the overprduction of a waxy oily substance called sebum in the oil glands of the skin. The plugging of these glands leads to inflamation and the formation of pimples. It usually bothers the parent more than the baby. While waiting for it to clear, make sure baby's fingernails are kept short to prevent scratching. Gentle washing with water and mild soap will remove the excess oil. Some doctors prescribe and antibacterial cream. I just kind of let my son's be and it cleared up in about 6 weeks. (it also peaks around 6 weeks old)

I would also make sure that if the condition worses that you check for a possible allergy to something you are eating or to the formula.
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; March 1st, 2006 at 10:02 AM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I had a similar situation with a gassy baby. At one point, she did not poop for 4 days and had gas that made her cry. I also was on occasion using formula. (In the beginning, I did not pump much so the baby got a bottle or two of formula every couple days.) I found that when I stopped giving her formula her bad gas completely went away. Massage helped during the gassy period as did a pair of tight fitting elastic waist pants. For some reason the external pressure felt good to her.
    As for baby acne, I found Aquaphor worked for my baby's skin.

thanks for the tips, everyone!
    my husband uses eucerin for his dry, itchy skin and i've asked him to pick up some aquaphor on his way home, i'm sure it's better than using baby lotion on the areas of her skin with acne.
    about the gas, she seems to pass it pretty well but right beforehand it seems more painful than it has in the previous weeks, i guess that's why i assumed it was linked to her lack of bm. she had a small bm about 30 mins ago and seems a lot happier now!

we found that the acne was caused by the huggies baby wash that we were using. it cleared up immediately when we switched to j&j head to toe baby wash. try using different washes. it may be an allergic reaction.

i switched to a different soap and i'm going to test that out.
    also, the acne seems to be getting a little worse so i'm going to see if her ped can see her tomorrow just for my own sanity!

Smile Re: 2 questions--possible constipation and baby acne

Taking prenatal vitamins constipated my baby due to the iron in the vitamins. I switched to an iron-free vitamin and it worked like magic.

I just took my DS in for his 6wk visit and was also concerned about his baby acne. His pedi said that it's totally normal & actually peaks at about 6 weaks and then gets better & will be totally gone by 3 months/12 weeks. I found that comforting.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We did use EBM on ds's acne at around 5 weeks. I would just express some right onto his little face when we BF and rub it in with my fingers. It cleared up within a couple days. It recurred maybe once a week for a few weeks, and now (at 2months) his skin is beautiful.

We found that Gripe Water really helped DS relieve the gas. We tried that and infant gas drops (generic Mylicon). They worked about the same, but ds liked taking the GW better.