Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation

Default constipation

why would my lo be constipated? she 6 wks old and ebf

Default Re: constipation

She's almost certainly not constipated. EBF babies just don't get constipated, because a) they're on a liquid diet, b) breastmilk has a mild laxative effect and c) breastmilk helps the baby develop a normal gut flora. That being said, after about 6 weeks many babies will decrease their pooping frequency to about 1x per week; this is normal and healthy and nothing to worry about. When a once-a-week pooper does finally go, expect a large volume poopsplosion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. If your 6 week old is not pooping, it is almost certainly not due to constipation. It is either an entirely normal change in poop pattern, or baby is not getting enough milk. Do you have any reason to think baby may not be getting enough milk?

no she gets plenty of milk I have oversupply. She didn't go for 5 days and when this happened she screamed acting like her belly hurt. After she went the next day no more screaming. Now we are on day 3 without going again and shes crying like her belly hurts again

What did the poop look like when it finally came?

There are a few ways to help baby manage gas pain- massage, bicycling the legs-I am not up on it all. Dr. Sears has some good tips. Remember he is writing for both breast and bottlefeeding parents so a suggestion like "feed twice as often half as much" may not make sense entirely-certainly you can feed baby more often and that may well help, it is a good idea anyway for oversupply (assuming baby will go for it) and that may lead to baby taking less each time, but you don't want to try to limit time at the breast. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/hea...mforting-colic

When the baby appears to be in pain, try popping her in the bath, preferably right after nursing. The warm water may relax her enough to cause her to poop- and then you get to scrub the tub!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

it was regular mustard looking poop except a little thicker than normal. I've tried the tub, bicycle legs, and even went as far a anal stimulation like the nursery nurse advised me to do. I'm lost on what else to do and hate for my sweet lo to be in pain.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and let her learn. Believe it or not, coordinating the nerves and muscles of the lower end of the digestive system is a learned skill, one you acquire in infancy and which lasts you (hopefully) your entire life. It's not always easy to master!

Ok so its certainly not constipation. Comfort baby when baby is upset, by nursing or whatever baby likes, even if its just holding baby while baby cries. Sometimes that is all you can do, but that is a lot! It tells baby you love baby and she is not alone.

It is also possible that your Oversupply is part of the issue for fussy baby maybe?? It would not cause the less frequent poops, I don't think. It can just cause some digestive issues/discomfort sometimes.

Nursing as frequently as baby will, keeping to one side at a time as much as baby will, usually helps in that case, assuming the os is not really severe in which case it sometimes needs more drastic measures. Time will help too.