Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping?

Default pumping?

Ok ladies. I would really like to start pumping some but really do not know how to go about it. I struggled when feeding my 2 yr old bc of oversupply and pumping made it worse so I started ebf her. It was a really rough year with breast feeding her. Now I have a 6 wk old and its not been half as hard as it was with my other one. but I really want to start pumping some so someone else can help with feedings. How do I do it without givning myself oversupply again? (when do I pump)

Default Re: pumping?

I don't think pumping should really be looked at as "a way to let other people help" since for every feeding that some one else "helps" with you still have the extra work of pumping (granted at another time) and then when some one else if feeding, your breasts are missing a feeding and may become uncomfortably full and then you need to either express or pump at least enough to avoid engorgement, plugged ducts or mastitis so pumping to let some one else feed isn't exactly taking any load off of you.

Now I don't have any experience with over production (I've been actively pumping after every feeding just to recover my supply and provide supplements for my LO who has had problems with poor milk transfer.) BUT it seems that most people with "normal" production manage to pump some once a day after the first morning feeding in order to start storing up a freezer stash or when starting to store some up in prep for going back to work. Under "normal" production levels it seems most women only manage to pump between 1/2 and oz to 2 oz per pumping session when they are also nursing full time so it might take most of a week to store up much milk.

How to manage pumping for a stash when worried about exasperating over production?? Hopefully some one here with more experience in that matter can chime in since I'm on the opposite treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dustymarona View Post
    I really want to start pumping some so someone else can help with feedings. How do I do it without givning myself oversupply again? (when do I pump)
    I think the best way to avoid getting an oversupply is to only pump when the baby gets a bottle. You will have to violate this to get milk for the first bottle, but one time shouldn't cause over supply. So pump 1-2 ounces per day for a couple of days to make the first bottle. Then when DH, or whoever, gives the bottle, you pump to make the next bottle. This should keep your output in sync with baby's intake. This is what we are currently doing to get DD used to bottles for when I go back to work.

Thank you ladies I can use all the help I can get. I am having surgery mid July and have to get on top of it so DH can feed her while i'm in surgery.

It's common for moms to be told that they can't pump for a long period after surgery. If you find out beforehand what medications you'll be on, you can call InfantRisk www.InfantRisk.com and get accurate and informed advice about how long you might actually need to "pump and dump" for, and therefore how much milk you actually need to have in the freezer for that time. But let's say that you're unable to nurse for a full 24 hours (which is longer than what's necessary in most cases) - you would want about 24-30 oz in the freezer. So if you pump a couple ounces a day you should have enough by mid-July and hopefully that amount of pumping won't put you in oversupply territory. Also it might help if someone can help you pump while you're sleepy/out of it post-surgery so you don't get engorged, plugged ducts etc.