Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sterilizing???

Default sterilizing???

I was just reading an old tbread on here in which mamas were saying it is,not necessary to sterilize bottles after every use. Is that so??? Can we nust wash them in hot soapy water and be good to go???
    I always thought sterization was necessary.
    j

Default Re: sterilizing???

True. You do not have to sterilize every time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do you also sterilize your baby's pacis every day? It's fine to just sterilize the brand new parts and then every so often for a good cleaning.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

I think the whole sterilizing constantly thing is more to do with,
    1- once upon a time water supplies were not as safe so sterilizing was actually more to make sure the water wasn't going to be a problem since washing with contaminated water wasn't as effective.
    2- Longer term storage should make cleaning a priority so if pumping for long term storage (not simply to feed that the next day) sterilizing should probably be a higher priority then.
    3- imune suppressed babies like premies should probably have more care given to making sure equipment is "cleaner" at least until they are doing well and out of the NICU.

Now days of course all the companies trying to sell you the steam sterilizers or micro steam sterilizing bags etc would like you to believe you need to sterilize everything for every single use because of course it will help them sell more products.

The only time I was careful about sterilizing was when I was dealing with thrush. Other than that, hot soapy water!

thanks everyone! This is really helpful and will save us a ton of time. I work long shifts so we go through a lot of bottles in just a few days!

J