Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conundrum

Default conundrum

I've been pumping on my way to work as well as at 10 am. I only work mornings. Technically one extra time more than needed because one is supposed to pump the number of times baby gets bottle. I want to drop the 10 am pump. Because I feel like there is no more milk after I get home the rest of the day. Baby is frustrated at the breast with not much milk and waking up at night hungry which she hadn't before I went back to work! Tired! Why isn't my body adjusting after 2 weeks? I am already putting her at my breast every 2 hours from 2 pm to 8 pm daily on weekdays to try to stimulate milk. And yet Sundays I feel a lot of extra milk.
    However, if I only pump on the way to work I get 3 1/2 ounces but baby drinks 4-5 ounces. So I'm not telling my breasts to make that much.
    On the other hand my hubby says less stress from running behind at work from pumping at 10 am might allow more milk supply.
    Just two mornings ago, Saturday baby woke up at 4 am hungry 2 hours earlier than usual.
    I'm scared that pumping one time less will really affect my supply.
    What do I do??

Default Re: conundrum

FYI baby is 6 1/2 months. Exclusively breastfeeding. Went back to work May 27, two weeks ago.

one is supposed to pump the number of times baby gets bottle
    Not universally true. You want to pump the number of times necessary for you to get sufficient milk to cover the baby's intake while you're at work. For some moms, that means pumping as many times a their baby eats, for others it means pumping more or less often. So you may not be able to drop that 10 am pump. You may even need to pick up a pumping session.

I want to drop the 10 am pump. Because I feel like there is no more milk after I get home the rest of the day. Baby is frustrated at the breast with not much milk and waking up at night hungry which she hadn't before I went back to work!
    This may have nothing to do with supply. Many babies get fussy at the breast when they get bottles because getting milk from the breast requires more skill and effort than getting milk from a bottle. A bottle requires almost no effort at all. And many babies start night-waking and night nursing when mom goes back to work because they miss her. Also, it's textbook normal for babies to go through phases of increased night waking/nursing when they are teething or mastering new developmental milestones, and at 6.5 months your baby is probably doing both.

On the other hand my hubby says less stress from running behind at work from pumping at 10 am might allow more milk supply.
    If only it worked this way! The truth is that most moms find that stress doesn't impact supply very much, if at all. Which is a good thing, because otherwise our species would never have made it out of the Stone Age. No matter how stressed we modern moms feel, it's nothing to what our ancestors experienced! Sabretooth tigers, the Bubonic Plague, war, famine- now that is stress. And yet moms somehow managed- and continue to manage- to nurse their babies through stressful times.

ETA: Your baby is taking fairly large bottles. How much is he drinking while you're at work?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are last pumping at 10am and not having your first feeding till 2pm, that should be plenty of time for your breasts to refill. I think it is more likely that baby is getting slightly overfed with the bottle and/or getting that milk easily without having to work with it. I would make sure that your baby is fed in a breastfeeding friendly way (i.e. paced bottle feeding, sitting up) and with a slow flow nipple. Maybe try to get bottle amount down too. Two 2.5 oz bottles would be better than one 5 oz bottle. Just a little trial and error finding how small of a bottle you can get away with.

I agree with both pps-

How long total with commute are the separations each day, and how much milk is baby given while you are gone?

If you only work mornings and your baby is 6 months old, I wonder if there is a simpler solution here, like, reducing the amount baby is given while you are gone, (besides paced bottle feeding, maybe starting some solids at that time if & when baby appears ready) and nursing baby lots when you are with baby.

Sorry,dumb question,why minimize the amount in the bottle? She only gets one bottle at 9:30 am. I told my nanny to give her 4 ounces the first week but the second week she got hungry one day at 12:30 but I don't get home until 2 pm so I started to ask the nanny to give her 5 ounces. I pump 20 minutes on my way to work and 20 minutes at work for a total of 7 ounces.

Generally, The reason to minimize the amount in a bottle is so baby is not overfed/or milk is wasted because baby does not drink it all so it is tossed (actually it need not be tossed in that situation but that is another topic.) Baby this age may take 5 ounces or even more at a feeding, but they can just as easily only want 2 or 3. The general tendency is to give large bottles and try to make baby drink it all, possibly causing overfeeding. and that is what paced bottle feeding is useful in avoiding.

But I did not realize baby was only getting one bottle. So baby is usually going 9:30 to 2 without being fed anything? Is this typical that baby goes 4 or more hours between nursing sessions? I wonder if maybe baby has been acting more hungry at night because baby is actually more hungry-baby is possibly being UNDERFED slightly while you are at work. I would suggest that as long as baby is being fed on cue and nanny is using paced bottle feeding, and bottle is avoided for at least an hour or so before you get home, baby can eat more frequently as baby likes while you are at work and that may help.

(Feeding baby more frequently would not mean you have to pump more frequently.)

I pump 20 minutes on my way to work and 20 minutes at work for a total of 7 ounces.
    So you are actually pumping slightly more milk each day than baby is getting during the separations? Ok.

If the only reason to drop the 10 am feeding is because you feel there is "no milk" the rest of the day, I assure you, 1) that is probably not the case, (that there is no milk, I don't doubt you feel that way) and 2) if it IS true that you have low milk production, NOT pumping at 10 am will only make this worse. Because milk production depends on frequent milk removal. If milk is left to sit in the breasts for hours, yes there may appear to be more when baby nurses the next time, but the signal your body has actually gotten is "make less milk." So overall, this is going to make the situation worse.
    I suppose you could keep pumping to the two times, but pumped for a slightly shorter amount of time (and consequently extracted less milk overall?)
    But if it were me? I would keep the two pump sessions just as they are, in order to ensure good milk production going forward. It can be hard to maintain good production after returning to work, and more frequent pump sessions help with milk production.

Info on paced feeding: Article http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 10th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.

with LLLMeg.

Another reason to keep the bottles small and frequent is because small, frequent feeds are what is normal for a breastfed baby. Making bottle-feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible may result in less fuss when baby gets to the breast. She won't be expecting a huge volume of milk, she'll be expecting the feeding to pause when milk flow slows, she'll know that she has to work to get milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you , you are all awesome for helping me! I will continue to pump twice. I think waking up in the middle of the night or early 3 times in the past 2 weeks is not bad compared to other babies.
    I feel like milk is less after coming home from work because my breasts are flatter and softer than usual and stay that way the rest of the day. Baby also nursed longer or finishes too early fussing. So I nurse more often knowing if not she will wake up at night.
    I feed on demand so typically baby eats at 6 am,9:30-10 am, 1-2 pm, 4-5 pm, and 8 pm and usually sleeps through the night 9 hours. That's why she gets the bottle at 9:30-10 am.
    Last edited by @llli*sweetchic; June 10th, 2014 at 08:11 AM.

So when you are home, baby nurses about 5 times total each 24 hour day? That is kind of infrequent. If your milk supply is being impacted by anything my guess would be that this and the long sleep stretch at night are the culprit. Yes, many babies sleep this long at this age, (and many do not) But again, when back at work, with the potential supply issues, it is important to keep an eye out for other factors that might cause issues with production going forward. If you don't want to wake baby in order to get more nursing in overnight, you can try nursing more frequently while baby is awake.