Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 mo not very interested in solids

Default 11 mo not very interested in solids

Hi,

After reading lots and lots on here and in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, we decided to go for baby led weaning. Around 7 months (after a checkup), I had started with oatmeal and bananas, and he ate well for a few days, but mostly he turned up his nose at food. So I just started offering him things from my plate and anytime he was interested. But he really only eats bites here and there throughout the day. Most of the time he will try two-three bites of something and then decide he is done eating. He nurses regularly (maybe every 3-4 hours and occasionally every 2). I don't have a problem with this, but he turns one-year-old in two weeks, and I'm nervous that he doesn't eat enough solids. His weight gain is fine, as is his height (in the top percentiles for both). So I have two questions.

1) Is it healthy/semi-normal/okay for a baby to have so little interest in solid foods at 11.5 months? Should I continue my unworried stance or start to push solids?

2) Are there any tips for introducing solids? Am I doing this right?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Default Re: 11 mo not very interested in solids

Okay. I missed the separate forum on solids and just started reading it. From,what I can tell, a few teaspoonfuls a day is plenty for the next month or so. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong! And if you have tips not mentioned in the solids forum, I am all ears. Otherwise I will consider my question answered. Thanks!

Default Re: 11 mo not very interested in solids

You figured it out! You might want to check the solids forum for threads on baby-led solids/baby-led weaning (weaning being in the UK term for the introduction of solids). BLS/BLW is a great way to get a kid interested in solids because the baby is allowed to self-feed rather than being fed from a spoon. A lot of babies really like to be in charge!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"