Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight Gain Issues

Default Weight Gain Issues

Hi there, new to the forum but needing some help.

Had a healthy baby boy in February weighing 7lbs 5oz. I was induced and had a lot of IV fluids before an emergency c-section. I lost a lot of blood and as a result my milk also came in late.

My little guy has always been on the low side. We've battled through severe reflux, milk/soy allergies and refusal of hypoallergenic formula. We have a paediatrician appointment on Friday and I guess I'm looking to see if there really is anything else I can do on my end or if I've exhausted everything and it's time to look at some underlying cause.

Weight at birth = 7lbs 5oz
    2 weeks later = 6lbs 13oz
    2 months = 8lbs 13oz
    3 months = 9lbs 15oz
    4 months = 10lbs 12oz

I've seen a lactation consultant (IBCLC) at 2 months and at the time my latch was great. He was gaining about 2/3oz per day at that time. Baby is now transferring 2.5oz each feed and feeding every 2-3hours (still feeds every 2-3 hours on demand, even at night). He is coming off content.

He has at least 7 sopping wet diapers per day and plenty more wet ones. He is having a large mustard coloured BM every 2 days; no longer having any curds. Now that we've solved the allergies, he is no longer having mucous. But we are finding ever 2 weeks, something new that he is allergic or sensitive to. He is still spitting up but no longer has pain with it (laughs afterwards actually!).

He is meeting all milestones and is ahead in many of them. Length wise he is 15% and head circumference 50% and has been at that the entire time. He started off at 3% for height originally.

I've tried supplementing him with formula but he absolutely refuses. I'm pumping and supplementing after he feeds but he'll only take 1/2oz extra and spits up any more. When I pump after he feeds I only get an ounce total (from both breasts, not each).

I am so frustrated because all I hear is about how tiny he is and at every immunization, about his weight. He is now off the WHO growth chart where he was previously tracking at the 3% curve.

Not sure where else to go. Even just hear that I've done everything would help somewhat. This is all I think about all day long even though I know everything else is going well and it's only his weight that is out of sorts.

Any input would be so much appreciated! I know it was a bit of a ramble but I have no one to vent to except my husband!

Default Re: Weight Gain Issues

Hey there- I have had a similar experience and just wanted to lend some support. My little guy is 6 months now and I am so happy that we are still breastfeeding, despite our difficulties. It sounds to me like your baby is actually doing quite well now. Is there any way you can offer the breast more often? My struggles really started to get better once I started to offer like every hour or hour and a half. Which I know seems like a lot but he has gotten so much better at draining the breast that it's not as bad as it sounds. I didn't pump, just nursed. I also had to really stop listening to all those people commenting on his weight. If you can, just try not to see them for a while. Hang in there because it really does get better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexbell915 View Post
    Hey there- I have had a similar experience and just wanted to lend some support. My little guy is 6 months now and I am so happy that we are still breastfeeding, despite our difficulties. It sounds to me like your baby is actually doing quite well now. Is there any way you can offer the breast more often? My struggles really started to get better once I started to offer like every hour or hour and a half. Which I know seems like a lot but he has gotten so much better at draining the breast that it's not as bad as it sounds. I didn't pump, just nursed. I also had to really stop listening to all those people commenting on his weight. If you can, just try not to see them for a while. Hang in there because it really does get better.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I feel like things are getting better but that darn growth curve just makes everyone panic. I'll try offering the breast even more often during the day and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

The book 'My child won't eat' by Gonzalez is a reassuring read!

When we had weight issues and dropped on the last line of the chart; we found a doctor who said 'as long as she is feeding well, being and pooing, happy, alert and meeting all milestones, don't worry!' this was amazing to hear when the previous hcp was talking hospitalization :s

We still agreed a plant help improve her weight; but it look the panic out!

As the PP said just keep offering milk

I've seen the book mentioned a few times. I'm off to buy it for my kobo! Thank you for the suggestion.

Even better, I got the book 50% off at kobo. If anyone is looking from Canada, find a coupon code.
    Last edited by @llli*jr80; June 24th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.