Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Away from my 18 mo bf on a 3 day trip may cause weaning?

Default Away from my 18 mo bf on a 3 day trip may cause weaning?

Hello ladies,

I am very concerned about a 3 day business trip i must take. So far i have never been away from her, only for a little duration 4-5 seminars which lasted a day long. Only once i had to express some milk but she didn't want it even though we did some practise 1-2 weeks before. I love nursing and she loves it too, and i am terrified by the idea of weaning so soon because of trip. What can i do to prevent it.
    Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Away from my 18 mo bf on a 3 day trip may cause weaning

If you want to make absolutely sure that your LO doesn't wean, you could take her with you. But that's probably unnecessary; if your LO loves nursing, a 3 day trip is unlikely to cause her to wean. She'll probably pick up nursing the moment you get back. While you're gone, make sure to bring your pump so that you can maintain your supply and/or pump if you feel uncomfortably full.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Even if baby DOES refuse to nurse when you get back, you could consider that not true weaning, but rather a nursing strike brought on by the stress of the separation, which IMO is what it would be. So then you treat it like any other nursing strike, and gently encourage nursing again.
    I understand the fear, I left my then 2 year old son once for about the same period of time, and even though he loved nursing too, I was very concerned he would not want to nurse when I returned, but no, there was no issue at all. And even though he was over two, I brought a pump with me and was glad I did.

I will definitely bring my pump with me. I think there will be no issue, but even a nursing strike will be a hard time for me because we are so close...i will see what i can do.Thank you for your advice.

Something important! She nurses at least twice during the night, we co-sleep by the way, so while i am away she will sleep of course with her father but she will surely wake up with the urge to nurse. How do we deal with that? Should he give her his finger instead of my breast maybe soak it a bit in my milk in order to calm her a bit?