Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10.5 month old still feeding very frequently

Default 10.5 month old still feeding very frequently

I posted about this when the baby was 15 weeks old, link. He's 10.5 months old now and still eating just as often. Yesterday I wrote down every feed, and there were 25 breast feedings in a 24 hour period, including 2 night wakings. Nearly all of the feeds were about 5 minutes long, and only on one breast.

I also give the baby three meals a day of solid foods, although he doesn't eat much at breakfast. We've done baby led solids since he was 6 months, and he was feeding himself finger foods from the start and will eat pretty much anything I give him (which is fabulous!).

I hear about how other babies nurse less frequently as they get older. Babies that only nurse before nap and bedtimes, stuff like that. It's been 10.5 months. Everywhere I go, I'm feeding him. I can't grocery shop without feeding him. I can't go for a walk without feeding him while I'm walking down the street. He's never taken a bottle. I've tried introducing a cup, but we haven't made much progress on that, and I don't think it would be wise to try giving him bottles at this point.

Default Re: 10.5 month old still feeding very frequently

Hi milyemmy. First I will say that it is a myth that all babies steadily and progressively nurse less frequently as they get older. Nursing frequency typically jumps around for about the first year to 18 months. Of course there are many babies who do nurse less often at 10 months than they did at 10 weeks, for many reasons. But this is not necessarily going to happen. There are many healthy, normal 10 month olds and even older babies who nurse as frequently as when they were newborns. When a child begins to no longer need milk as their primary source of nutrition, which is after about a year or so, then nursing sessions start reducing typically. edit: But this can be a slow process and again, is not necessarily progressive.

But 25 times a day? That is unusual frequency, even for a newborn. Looking at your previous thread, I do not see that there was any health issues mentioned? -its not like baby was gaining poorly, baby in pain, etc, etc...in other words, no indication that the nursing frequency was due to something aside from that this is just your baby. Would you say this is still true? baby is healthy, gaining normally, meeting milestones? Because if this is so, I would suggest that baby is not nursing this often because baby is actually hungry and needs more to eat. So I don't think bottles or cups are the answer.

It sounds like perhaps you have a healthy baby who has an incredibly strong instinct to suck. We know sucking is very very important to babies and young children, and it is necessary, not only for survival, but developmentally. This is why pacifiers are a actually often GOOD and necessary for bottle fed babies who do not nurse-they need something to suck and they want to suck ALOT. But some babies do not have a very strong suck instinct and others have a much stronger one.

Many moms find they have to start limiting (delaying) nursing sessions when baby is older or in the toddler years for their own comfort and convenience. And this is totally fine. There is little danger at this point that your milk production will be adversely affected or baby somehow won't get enough if you don't nurse quite as often. What happens if you do NOT nurse baby while doing the grocery shopping or walking down the street?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 22nd, 2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: young not your and added something

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    But 25 times a day? That is unusual frequency, even for a newborn. Looking at your previous thread, I do not see that there was any health issues mentioned? -its not like baby was gaining poorly, baby in pain, etc, etc...in other words, no indication that the nursing frequency was due to something aside from that this is just your baby. Would you say this is still true? baby is healthy, gaining normally, meeting milestones?
    He's very healthy, gaining weight well, and has gone up in percentiles, so he's around 75th for weight and height now. He's doing fine on milestones.

It sounds like perhaps you have a healthy baby who has an incredibly strong instinct to suck. We know sucking is very very important to babies and young children, and it is necessary, not only for survival, but developmentally. This is why pacifiers are a actually often GOOD and necessary for bottle fed babies who do not nurse-they need something to suck and they want to suck ALOT. But some babies do not have a very strong suck instinct and others have a much stronger one.
    We used a pacifier from around 6 weeks to 9 months. He seemed to lose interest in it, so I stopped offering it. He was feeding very frequently even when he was using a pacifier, the frequency hasn't changed.

Many moms find they have to start limiting (delaying) nursing sessions when baby is older or in the toddler years for their own comfort and convenience. And this is totally fine. There is little danger at this point that your milk production will be adversely affected or baby somehow won't get enough if you don't nurse quite as often. What happens if you do NOT nurse baby while doing the grocery shopping or walking down the street?
    If I try to delay feeding him, he gets very fussy. Whining, saying "mamamamama" nonstop, and pretty quickly progressing to screaming and crying if I don't feed him. The exception to this is actually that when we're out, he can wait more calmly when I have him strapped up against me in a baby carrier. But if we go to the store and I don't feed him because he's able to keep it together since he's in the carrier, then as soon as I get him into his carseat he starts crying.

Maybe he feels he held out in the store and deserves his reward now! Well, I guess at this point, you can let him nurse or let him scream. There is no wrong here, it's whatever works in the moment for you. fyi, my 23 month old also insists on nursing whenever I go to put her in the carseat after shopping or whatever. It's annoying especially when it's 100 degrees and I just bought ice cream. Or I reeaaallly have to pee.

For the frequent nursing when home, there are some articles on here about that I think- things like "don't assume the nursing position," delay, redirect, offer an alternative...etc. These are weaning techniques, and I am gathering you do not want to wean, just encourage baby to nurse a bit less often. But basically, that is what active weaning consists of as well. So I guess my only suggestion would be to look over the various gentle weaning techniques and adjust as needed for your situation.

My lo sometimes nurses out of boredom. If we are home all day and I'm trying to gey chores done she'll ask to nurse what feels like constantly but if we go to the playground, take a walk talking about the things we see, go to a story hour or engage in crafts at home she is less likely to nurse more than 10 times a day (night time excepted).

Sounds like my daughter! It wasn't until after the year point that she ever really wanted to go much more than 30-45 minutes without nursing. Honestly, she will still nurse that frequently now at home, and she is 19 months old. Sessions are generally pretty short, though. I know I have a small storage capacity, so I think that drives a lot of her demand...but I also think she just loves nursing, too.

Running errands is now pretty doable without nursing for us, largely because my daughter knows that I can't carry her and nurse anymore. Once she surpassed 30 lbs and 30 inches or so, I just physically couldn't do it unless I had somewhere to sit down. She definitely prefers to nurse before loading into her car seat, so I build in time for that as best as I can, and that also helps a lot!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!