Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food allergies and breastfeeding

Default Food allergies and breastfeeding

Hi everyone!
    My 4 month old was breastfed with some formula supplementation. When she reached 2 months, she started to develope an eczematous like rash. We changed to 3 different formulas because peds thought she was allergic to milk protein. HOwever, alimentum was only one that seemed to help. one week ago pediatrician did blood allergy testing since rash not completely gone away and found out baby is allergic to oats, which i started eating in response to going off diary. She is sensitive to milk protein and wheat only per allergy blood testing but definitely allergic to oats. I haven't breastfed her for almost one month. I went off oats one week ago and would like to return to breastfeeding, but wanted to ask everyone's opinion to see if I should. She is not seeing peds allergist until next week and may not do anymore testing since baby so young. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Food allergies and breastfeeding

Welcome to the forum!

When you switched to formula, what allergy symptoms was your baby exhibiting aside from the rash? Was she having difficulty with weight gain or extremely bloody stools?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

HI,
    no other symptoms that I noticed at that time except a wheal like dry patch that wasn't itchy in the beginning but then became itching. However, later on realized that she is always congested and stuffy.

Her eczema like rash/wheals is going away now after having been on alimentum ready to feed for 3 weeks already. we are also using raw shea butter cream from cvs which is organic and helps calm her skin down and moisturize it. I really want to be able to breastfeed again, but will wait until peds appt in 5 days. Are there any tests out there to see if certain allergens like milk protein or wheat is still in your breastmilk?

I'm very surprised that your doctor recommended that you discontinue breastfeeding and switch to a very expensive hypoallergenic formula just because of a rash and a suspected allergy to milk protein. I mean, yes, allergies definitely are problematic for some babies, but you'd want to see symptoms like severe eczema or failure to gain weight before switching to formula. If this were my baby, I would be seeking a second opinion from a different pediatrician in a different practice. I would also start nursing again and see if anything changes, as that's the best way to figure out whether or not something in your diet is going to bother your baby. I am sure that it is possible to identify various proteins in your milk, but I don't know that such tests they are done routinely, if at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi http, sorry you are having this issue, allergies and food eliminations are a pain.

But like mommal I am confused about why you are thinking it is not ok to nurse...Were you told to stop nursing or was this your decision? Why was baby being given formula previously-was that a issue with milk production, or some other reason? Have you been pumping to maintain milk production?

Have you been able to eliminate the suspected reactive foods from your diet or is that too difficult to do? If you are no longer eating the suspected foods, why can't you nurse? You don't need a test- your milk is certainly safe, even if something in it causes a mild allergic reaction.

Also, I am unclear on what this means:
    one week ago pediatrician did blood allergy testing since rash not completely gone away and found out baby is allergic to oats, which i started eating in response to going off diary. She is sensitive to milk protein and wheat only per allergy blood testing but definitely allergic to oats.
    So do you know these three things are all an issue? Or is that still a suspicion but unproven? And maybe the issue is not you eating ANY oats, but too much oats?

Bottom line, it is rare that allergies via breastmilk are so severe that baby can not nurse. The benefits of nursing and breastmilk itself almost always outweigh the allergic issues in most cases. This does not mean you don't try to eliminate an offending food- Yes, sometimes, mom does have to eliminate certain foods from her diet in order to alleviate baby's symptoms. But this can almost always be done while baby continues to nurse.
    'I strongly suggest reading this allergy protocol from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine and perhaps discussing it with your baby's pediatrician. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf
    That one is a bit full of medicalese, as it is written by and for doctors. For something simpler, here is an article by pediatrician and breastfeeding expert Dr. Jack Newman. It's about colic, but at the bottom he explains the issue of food allergy in the breastfed baby and explains one way to systematically approach an elimination diet. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-CBB
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 21st, 2014 at 11:22 PM.