Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting very disheartened

Default Getting very disheartened

My baby is almost 3 weeks old.....

In the hospital she lost more than her 10% so I had to give her supplement.
    I attempted breastfeeding minutes after delivery.
    I saw a lactation consultant in-patient with every feeding during the day.
    I have seen a lactation consultant out-patient.
    I feed her at least every 3h if not sooner (on demand).
    I am not pumping anymore after the advice of the OP lactation consultant so that milk can build up between feedings.
    I am taking 7g of Fenugreek, eating lactation cookies 2x/day, and taking Lactuca virosa (unsure of dose) 4x/day.
    I am still not satisfying her and having to supplement almost an ounce every feeding.
    There are no latch issues.
    I have PCOS and hypothyroid.

I want to strickly breastfeed but am so disheartened and cannot see my baby cry and be miserable anymore without supplement......

Any suggestions????????

Default Re: Getting very disheartened

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lowmilkmommy View Post
    My baby is almost 3 weeks old.....

In the hospital she lost more than her 10% so I had to give her supplement.
    I attempted breastfeeding minutes after delivery.
    I saw a lactation consultant in-patient with every feeding during the day.
    I have seen a lactation consultant out-patient.
    I feed her at least every 3h if not sooner (on demand).
    I am not pumping anymore after the advice of the OP lactation consultant so that milk can build up between feedings.
    I am taking 7g of Fenugreek, eating lactation cookies 2x/day, and taking Lactuca virosa (unsure of dose) 4x/day.
    I am still not satisfying her and having to supplement almost an ounce every feeding.
    There are no latch issues.
    I have PCOS and hypothyroid.

I want to strickly breastfeed but am so disheartened and cannot see my baby cry and be miserable anymore without supplement......

Any suggestions????????
    I'm most definitely NOT a professional here but...
    Uh, I'm not sure about that advice about "letting milk build up between feedings" It might make it easier for baby to get the milk out when you can do compressions to help but if latch and milk transfer are good, that won't necessarily help if your supply is really low.

I would probably suggest pumping and giving the pumped milk to baby as supplement if you get much. Pumping right after nursing is to increase your supply though (let your body know there is more demand.) If you cut feedings short and then bottle feed without pumping, your body misses out on the cue to make MORE MILK.

Feeding like every 2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night will get more feeds in during a 24 hour period and may help more with weight gain as well as your supply.

However, with your medical conditions you need to make sure they are well managed. Some amount of supplementation could be needed long term. If baby isn't having any trouble going back and forth between breast and bottle then you are fine but if baby has developed a flow preference for the bottle and isn't effectively removing milk from the breasts it will further hinder your milk supply, if that is the case some use of a lactation aid (at the breast supplementation) like a medela SNS or Lactaid might be helpful so you get the the stimulation at the same time as you supplement baby. (Drawback is the tubes can be a bit fiddly and sometimes baby takes to trying to latch onto the tube instead of the breast.)

Excellent advice from the PP! I just want to reiterate that the advice you were given- to let the milk build up between feedings- is exactly the opposite of what you want to do when it comes to increasing supply.

Let's say you nurse your baby and she's fussy at the conclusion. What would happen if you just kept putting her back to the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe the suggestion about not pumping between nursing sessions is so baby will get more when baby nurses and there will be less need (or maybe no need) to supplement? If that is the case, it does not appear to be working, as you are continuing to feel the need to supplement at every meal.

I would really like you to have clarity about why you were told to no longer pump. Sometimes a lactation consultant may be getting the feeling a mother is simply too exhausted to keep up the nurse/pump/feed treadmill and will suggest moms go on more of a maintenance plan. Or they may suggest moms pump for a few days and not nurse, or some variation....but these are not orders. They are suggestions, and it is important to understand why they are being suggested and what the possible drawbacks will be.

A baby only NEEDS supplements if baby cannot gain normally without them despite nursing with good frequency, which at this age is 10-15 times in 24 hours. At this point without more info I am not sure if baby actually needs the supplements or not. How is gain now? Did the LC do any before and after nursing weight checks?

One of the hardest things to do is to have the confidence to reduce supplementing. But it is very hard to know if supplementing CAN be reduced unless you try reducing it. A 3 week old baby often will NOT appear satisfied and will cry and want to nurse again shortly-sometimes just moments, after seeming to "finish" at the breast. So nursing for a while, stopping, then crying to nurse again, is normal nursing behavior.

PCOS is not necessarily a barrier to normal milk production, btw. PCOS varies in how it will or even if it will affect milk production. Many mothers with PCOS have normal and even oversupply. Same with hypothyroid. Are you getting treatment for that?

3hours is usually too long to wait. I feel like the only time my baby went 3hours without feeding was at nighttime when he was sleeping. During the day it was more like every hour.

Way too lazy for formula

Here is a link to another web site I have found helpful.
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org/index.shtml

Do you do any skin to skin? If you hold baby while she's sleeping, will she nurse more often if offered? You can offer anytime instead of waiting for baby to cue.

I have successfully nursed 3 children. 2 for a year each, and my newborn is on that road as well. I would definitely agree to supplement with your own milk that you pump after feedings. Pumping is good because it does allow your body to know there is more demand. Times that I noticed my milk supply dimishing were if I wasn't eating enough, often enough, or if I was dehydrated. I just started taking a supplement called Skinny Fiber because I wanted to lose weight and it is all natural. Its been a week & now I am producing significantly more milk but I've lost 3 pounds! So maybe you're not getting enough fiber in your diet?