Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what to do re: day care feedings (rant)

Default Not sure what to do re: day care feedings (rant)

This is my 12 week old daughter's first week in day care, and my first week back at work from maternity leave. When I took her Monday, I took 3 - 3 oz. bottles and a 1 oz. topper; DCP fed her 3 times, which was fine since she was there 6.5 hours. Tuesday I took the same, but was told that because of state regulations (it's a licensed, in-home day care), DCP would need to discard any uneaten portions... and since my daughter was only drinking about 1-1.5 oz. per feeding, she was worried it would be wasted; again, she fed her 3 times over a 6.5 hour period. Wednesday, I took 4 - 2 oz. bottles and 2 - 1 oz. toppers. DCP ended up using 2 of the 2 oz. bottles and both toppers, spread out over 3 feedings in the 8 hours she was there. When I picked her up Wednesday, the DCP said to go back to 3 - 3 oz. bottles; she'll work around the state regulations, but she's worried about having so many bottles in her fridge, especially since she has another infant starting soon.

So today, as requested, I took 3 - 3 oz. bottles. When I arrived to pick her up, DCP was beside herself to tell me that my daughter took 6 oz. today - she drank 2 bottles, 3 oz. per feeding! She fed her TWICE IN 8 HOURS. I nursed her at 7am, dropped her off at 8:30, and she didn't get another feeding until 11:30, and then another at 2:30.

My thought is that she should be doing small, frequent feedings. At 12 weeks, the only time my daughter should be going 4 hours without a feeding is at night... I want her fed the way she would be if she were at home: on cue, which just so happens to coincide with every 2 hours, at a maximum. Am I wrong to be concerned about this? I'm going back to the 2 oz. bottles, but I will send just the 4 bottles without any toppers. I'm going to take some frozen for her to store and have available next week...

The other red flag comment she keeps making is that here soon, you know, she'll start taking 3 oz. at every feeding. I keep reiterating to her that every baby is different, that breastfed babies don't always drink what is sent, tried to explain reverse-cycling and that I'm really not concerned about whether or not she drinks what I send with her. I gave her all the information on paced feeding, but I really don't think she *got* it. Or if she did, she's ignoring it. I think she doesn't have time... she has 5 other little ones to take care of, ranging in age from 10 months to 4 years. I just don't know what to do - I don't know if I should give it more time, or if I should start looking for alternative care, or what.

Default Re: Not sure what to do re: day care feedings (rant)

Just as an update, I talked to the DCP this morning at drop off, and explained my preference that my daughter be fed more frequently - she was fine with it. She asked how baby did last night after I picked her up, and I told her she was starving! She said that the baby was so content yesterday morning, wasn't fussing or cueing to be fed, and that's why she didn't offer anything until 11:30. I have a hard time believing that, but maybe she behaves differently at day care than she does at home... is that a thing?

Anyway, I feel better now that I have 1) ranted about it, and 2) addressed it with the DCP. Thanks for reading

Well done, mama! It sounds like you handled things just right. FTR, I agree that smaller, more frequent feedings are going to be better for your baby than larger amounts less frequently, and that applies even if the baby doesn't seem to be cueing to feed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it's great you are being proactive and talking to your DCP about the bottle-feeding. But I do think there is a bit of a difference between bottle-feeding and nursing - my own experience is that my babies usually did eat less frequently with the bottle than they would nurse when we were home together. Maybe because they like to nurse a lot for both comfort and nutrition, whereas with the bottle it's mainly about being hungry. So I personally wouldn't get TOO worried if your baby bottle-feeds somewhat less frequently than she nurses, though to the extent that you can mimic nursing with bottle-feeding, that can help support your breastfeeding relationship. I think the main things though are to prevent overly-large bottles, which are you are doing a great job with, and also to prevent overfeeding over the course of the day so you can promote lots of nursing when you are together. Anyway, it's great that your DCP is responsive and that you have established that you are paying attention to this and care about it!