Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reassurance

Default Re: Reassurance

Its great for when I want to nap but I'm usually trying to eat, get dressed or do something around the house. But she will still do it even when side lying so it's no guarantee that side lying will stop her from throwing a fit.

You said:
    If we could nurse straight through she probably would eat 15-20min every 2hrs or so. It sucks seeing my baby not enjoy to nurse.
    Are you expecting/hoping/thinking it is only ok if baby will nurse 15-20 minutes at a time? Or every time? Most babies vary their nursing 'duration' quite a bit, and, especially IF ffld is going on, nursing sessions will tend to be short. There is nothing wrong with very short sessions assuming baby is gaining well. When baby starts fussing, do you usually end the nursing session and do something else? Or do you usually keep trying to nurse, or do you try different things?

I am not saying baby is necessarily "done" if baby starts fussing after 2 minutes. But baby MAY be done, and maybe wants a little break to burp or get rocked or put up tummy to your shoulder and carried about a bit, whatever your baby seems to like. If baby is still hungry, baby will likely indicate they want to nurse again shortly.

Sorry if I am totally not understanding the problem, but if baby will latch ok but hates nursing, I am just trying to picture what is going on.

What's happening is, when she latches she will eat for a couple minutes and she will 9/10 let go and begin crying.. I will normally try to get her to latch back on and continue eating. She throws her head at my breast and sort of bobs for the breast as though she's looking for it, its usually already in her mouth but she won't begin sucking again..She will increasingly become more and more upset. At that point, I will try to consolwill e her so we can try to latch again but the moment she calms down and I move her to continue eating she screams more. She ends up eating for a very short amount of time and I canusuallytell she still wants to nurse as bad as she is fighting it.

She is gaining just fine but she is super gassy and her poops are more often green than not nowadays and they used to be yellow/orange. I try to let her finish the first breast but sometimes when I am trying to get her back on she will take the other one for another couple minutes. Now that she is getting bigger/older her eating habit have changed.. She would fuss before but she would not show signs of still being hungry. I am concerned mainly because if she gets too beside herself then she will cry herself to sleep just to wake up more flustered than before and more hungry. There are days where when she unlatches she will come right back on the breast and finish eating and normally when she does she will eat for 10-15min. I know the duration of each feeding varies but I can tell she's wanting to eat more.

I don't have a lot to suggest, but wanted to say I feel for you. It is so hard- my 11 week old has struggled in much the same way. It IS getting better- I think part of the benefit of growth is that they can handle OP better. But as a Mom it is heartbreaking to want that bonding time so badly, and end up with an upset babe. For a while my daughter nursed for a matter of minutes- like 3-4. When I met with a lactation consultant, she weighed her before and after eating, and she was taking almost four ounces in that short time. So your LO may be getting plenty to eat in those short spurts... Hang in there Mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelseymc View Post
    I don't have a lot to suggest, but wanted to say I feel for you. It is so hard- my 11 week old has struggled in much the same way. It IS getting better- I think part of the benefit of growth is that they can handle OP better. But as a Mom it is heartbreaking to want that bonding time so badly, and end up with an upset babe. For a while my daughter nursed for a matter of minutes- like 3-4. When I met with a lactation consultant, she weighed her before and after eating, and she was taking almost four ounces in that short time. So your LO may be getting plenty to eat in those short spurts... Hang in there Mama.
    Thank you for responding. That is exactly how I feel, I want the bond all the time and it just seems like she hates breastfeeding which I'm sure she doesn't but that's how it feels. It's even more discouraging when we have a great feeding session but the next one is a rough one. I've learned every feeding is different. Again, thank you thank you! I just need some reassurance sometimes.