Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reassurance

Default Reassurance

I have been dealing with a fast flow and overactive let down. Throughout this process my 6wk baby girl has been so fussy. She unlatches and begins to cry, throws her head around and completely crying even when its in her mouth. Every feed she is upset. She wants to eat but won't latch on.. She screams at the top of hern lungs. I'm beginning to think she hates when it's time to eat but then we still have those times where she will easily relatch and we're back to bonding. I love breastfeeding. I don't plan on introducing bottles anytime soon because I love it so much and I also know she probably won't return to breastfeeding after she has a bottle

She's beginning to have green poos now as well and I think its due to her not spending enough time at the breast. Nonetheless, she is eating enough (I don't know how because wespend more time crying than anything else) because she has blowouts at least twice a day and plenty of wet diapers.

I feel like my baby hates breastfeeding. I don't know what babies do during a nursing strike but this feels like one sometimes and I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding. i hate not knowing what she needs to feel better.

Default Re: Reassurance

HI Kaimom. I have had three kids and os with all-they varied in reaction, but both my middle son and my youngest daughter really struggled with it to some degree for at least a while. In my experience, it DOES get better.

What have you tried for helping baby handle the flow? have you tried anything to lower milk production (IF warranted?)

Babies do not hate breastfeeding. in fact, they are biologically compelled to love nursing. But a baby will certainly get upset if the milk comes so fast it is impossible for baby to handle! That is why it is important to address the problem rather than seeing breastfeeding itself as the problem, if that makes sense. I do not think giving baby a bottle means baby would never nurse again, but on the other hand, bottles are not going to do anything to solve this particular issue. Not that there are always quick cures, but ffld and os do have many remedies that usually help to some extent.

A nursing strike means baby can nurse but is refusing to nurse. This would be a very serious (and rare) issue in a 6 week old. Is this happening?

I don't think that is happening because she usually nurses for a couple minutes then comes off and doesn't want to get back on.

For thre flow I have been trying to nurse in a slightly reclined position and I hand express a bit when my breast are super full. She still has this reaction even when my breast are feeling very deflated so I'm not even sure if it is the flow that's causing her to sometimes not relatch at all. Its discouraging seeing her want to eat but not eat and become increasingly upset.

I pump maybe once a week on one breast when it is super full. Just to have a bit of storage.

Some babies take a Goldilocks approach to nursing. They don't like their milk coming out too fast and they don't like it coming too slow- they want it just right! A lot of moms get tempted to "fix" low speed for their babies- to make it just right all the time via pumping or bottlefeeding. But that just traps you in an endless cycle of fixing your flow for your kid! This is an opportunity- let your baby learn how to handle nursing, and how to stimulate the flow speed she wants, and she will eventually be a flexible nurser who can always get her needs met.

Are you allowing your baby to finish the first breast at her own speed, or are you switching breasts after some predetermined time?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I try to let her finish the first breast but when she lets go and will not get back on I will try the other breast to see if she will take it.. which she will for a couple minutes sometimes.

In that case, just continue what you're doing. And try using reclined nursing positions- they enlist gravity to slow milk flow to the baby.

I think the problem may be that you have a 6 week old baby. They are just fussy, screamy creatures, no matter what. Have you tried wearing your baby in a wrap or sling? Sometimes that can provide a lot of comfort.

Is your baby more fussy at any particular time of day, perhaps in the later afternoon/evening?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

She's only fussy during the day when she eats, even when I try to console her She screams and wants to eat but just won't. When she's not eating she's very content but she eats very often during the day so a lot of our day is crying.

At night I feed her on my side and she usually has no problems, sometimes she'll have a rough nightbut it won't be too bad.

For thre flow I have been trying to nurse in a slightly reclined position and I hand express a bit when my breast are super full. She still has this reaction even when my breast are feeling very deflated so I'm not even sure if it is the flow that's causing her to sometimes not relatch at all. Its discouraging seeing her want to eat but not eat and become increasingly upset.
    FFLD CAN happen when there is no overproduction going on, too. Your strategy sounds good. assuming the issue is ffld. I do not see nursing frequency mentioned, so I will mention that nursing frequency really matters when it comes to os and ffld. IN my personal experience, gently encouraging my daughter to nurse very frequently night and day was key in lessening the issues of ffld and os we were having. She was a baby who was often content to wait a few hours between sessions, especially overnight, but I found that following her lead led to me being engorged and her being flooded when she did nurse.

At night I feed her on my side and she usually has no problems, sometimes she'll have a rough nightbut it won't be too bad.
    If you side lie to nurse during the day, does that help?

I haven't tried to side lie nurse during the day, mostly because I will fall asleep too. As far as frequency, she eats pretty often.. especially during the day. Usually 5-8min sessions every 30min to an hour. If we could nurse straight through she probably would eat 15-20min every 2hrs or so. It sucks seeing my baby not enjoy to nurse. The whole process is very tiring for the both of us. But the good feedings make the million bad feedings so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaimom View Post
    I haven't tried to side lie nurse during the day, mostly because I will fall asleep too. .
    And what's wrong with that? Nap when the baby naps.