Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Proper way to freeze milk?

Default Proper way to freeze milk?

Okay, I am being dumb. I have been freezing the extra that I pump each day (in small quantities) in breast milk bags. I didn't have the luxury of extra milk with my son, so this is new to me. I've been stacking the bags in large tupperware containers to make sure that nothing accidentally scratches the bags. Well... I just went to add more bags to a container, and I realized that all of the bags are stuck together!!! I guess they were a little wet on the outside or something?? I don't want to force them apart right now, but this is going to be super fun when it's time to defrost them. So... how do I freeze them so that they don't stick together?! Paper towels between each bag? Would that work?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Proper way to freeze milk?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Okay, I am being dumb. I have been freezing the extra that I pump each day (in small quantities) in breast milk bags. I didn't have the luxury of extra milk with my son, so this is new to me. I've been stacking the bags in large tupperware containers to make sure that nothing accidentally scratches the bags. Well... I just went to add more bags to a container, and I realized that all of the bags are stuck together!!! I guess they were a little wet on the outside or something?? I don't want to force them apart right now, but this is going to be super fun when it's time to defrost them. So... how do I freeze them so that they don't stick together?! Paper towels between each bag? Would that work?
    I would say lay flat separate till frozen and then place in the container with the other bags. If you want to place bag on something to freeze, parchment or wax paper would probably be less likely to freeze to the different layers. Paper towel might be more padding to keep bags from rubbing against each other in the storage container.

I never freeze two bags next to each other at the same time, but I have frozen a bag next to another frozen bag or in between two frozen bags. I freeze them standing up in a container that automatically applies pressure so they flatten out. They stick, but I have always been able to pull them apart without issue, so they might actually come apart fine if you apply a little force.

Thanks! I'm going to buy some wax paper for the future. I really hope that I'll be able to pry them apart without too much damage!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Thanks! I'm going to buy some wax paper for the future. I really hope that I'll be able to pry them apart without too much damage!
    perhaps a little bump on the counter will jolt them apart without as much risk to the bags.

My bags froze together all the time, I pried them apart with my fingers without spilling or leakage.

I freeze the bags individually on the shelf of my freezer and when frozen I add them to my plastic storage container. That's because it will take much longer to reach frozen state in the container than outside the container and I want them frozen right away (lipase issue).

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.