Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal and bottle feeding?!?

Lightbulb Cereal and bottle feeding?!?

Good afternoon,
    I totally feel like a newbie. My LOs are 23 months and 5 months and 3wks old. She is EBF and was very low on her 4 month check-up weight gain. Her Pedi put her on rice cereal. She took to it well, but me mixing it was an adventure (I didn't know my milk would break down the cereal that quickly). She goes to daycare and I pump her three 4oz bottles to take with her. They use 2oz of the milk to make her cereal and feed her the other 2oz. Is that sufficient enough for her? Or should she get a full 4oz of my milk and 2oz to go in the cereal ? She gets the cereal her first feeding and her last feeding at the daycare.

Default Re: Cereal and bottle feeding?!?

Some questions for you:
    - Does your baby have reflux?
    - What has baby's weight gain been thus far? If you could post birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each checkup, that would be great.
    - How many hours are you at work per day?
    - Does baby nurse at night?
    - How often does baby nurse in a 24 hour period?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

-She does have reflux; watching my milk come out is soo horrific for me. Pedi said to feed her more upright and to limit her time feeding. She would feed for an hour up until 2 months; it has helped, but she still does it.
    -She was born at 7lb 14oz, at her 2wk 7lb 8oz, 2month 9lb 3oz, 4month 13lb 8oz ... We had latching issues and I had big blisters that burst so I was feeding her one breast for a a couple of days until it healed.
    -I work 8 hours. She feeds between every 2-3 hours. She would feed @ 4:40am, but now has switched to 5am. They feed her at 8am, 11am, 2pm, 4:30pm (sometimes I bring extra when I'm able to squeeze in a pumping session at home. If not she has formula there to supplement.) I feed her 5pm, 8:30pm, 10:45pm, 1am, 3:30am, 5am

Based on this chart, I don't understand why anyone sees a problem with her weight at 4 months: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif. If anything, her weight at 2 months was the most concerning, as there was an apparent large decline from her percentile at birth. At 4 months she was right below the 50th %ile, which is approximately where she was when she was born. I even translated her weight at 4 months into kg (13 lbs, 8 oz = 6.1 kg) and checked her out on the WHO chart: http://kellymom.com/wp-content/uploa...irls_p_0_2.jpg. She falls right below the 50the %ile there, as well.

Basically, I have absolutely no idea why your doc is concerned about your baby's weight and why he/she recommended rice cereal. The AAP recommends starting solids at 6 months because "solid food introduction prior to 6 months does not increase rate of weight gain and only substitute food that lack the immunoprotective components of of human milk." (That's a rough quote from memory, for the actual wording see http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...2/496.full.pdf., and look under " Recommendations for Health Term Infants").

Your pediatrician also gave bad advice about breastfeeding. Limiting time at the breast does not, to my knowledge, help babies with reflux, and is purely negative for all babies when it comes to weight gain. I know it's upsetting to see your child throw up your milk, but the solution to that is not to fill her tummy less. It's to nurse more often, allowing her to offset any loss of milk with more nursing.

Your feeding frequency looks good, your baby is taking in about the right amount of milk at daycare, and her weight gain is fine. I really am not sure why your pediatrician thinks rice cereal is a good idea! Especially when you remember that rice cereal does not provide balanced nutrition. It's just carbohydrates. Breastmilk or formula provide carbohydrates and protein and fat and all the micronutrients your baby needs- so why use cereal instead?

ETA: If you decide to continue on with the rice cereal, I would choose to feed her the entire 4 oz of breastmilk via bottle and mix the cereal up with formula. That way if your baby doesn't finish the cereal, your milk doesn't go down the drain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will trust mommal and not run the numbers myself as I only get confused. I can only add that early solid introduction often leads to SLOWER weight gain. Not faster.

Also, Rice cereal for reflux is an old suggestion that has been discredited.

Yes I think you should send 4 oz bottles. It would increase the total volume of breast milk she would be getting. No harm there.