Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 Months Pregnant--To Wean or Not to Wean my 22 Month Old

Default 8 Months Pregnant--To Wean or Not to Wean my 22 Month Old

I am nearing the end of my pregnancy and have been happily nursing my toddler son (now 22 months) throughout. Suddenly, the sensation of nursing is making my skin crawl and I'm considering weaning (I'm assuming late pregnancy hormones). My plan all along was to let my son wean when he was ready and I was all prepared to tandem nurse. However, nursing has become something I dread and I'm reconsidering.

I know my window of being able to wean before the baby comes is quickly closing and I'd love to hear from other moms who have been in this boat. Does the sensation and/or these feelings go away? Is there a chance I'll enjoy nursing him again? Is this a sign that it is time for me to wean? Am I too late to wean? Thank you!!!

Default Re: 8 Months Pregnant--To Wean or Not to Wean my 22 Month Ol

I've heard of a toddler who weaned 3 months before the arrival of the second baba but relatched when he saw the newborn feeding. It mightn't be worth your while or energy fully weaning but you could set limitations on it until you're more sure of what you want to do.

Oh I would hang on it you can. Having the toddler nurse can really help with engorgement and the arrival of a new baby is often so hard on a toddler as someone is literally stealing their mom right in front of them. The bonding nursing can really ease the transition and having a couple times a day set a side where you JUST nurse your toddler can really be special moment that you both really need that you otherwise won't make time for. And to be clear, you will already be setting some major boundaries/restrictions on nursing restrictions when the baby comes because the baby NEEDS to nurse for food. So I just think that not taking it away completely and allowing him a few moments a day with it that are just his, will really help with the sting.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for your answers and support! I really want to keep going (and don't think my son is ready to wean). I'm just hoping the uncomfortable sensations decrease a bit after birth. Maybe the colostrum is in and that was the change?

I would definitely keep it up.