Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month growth spurt?

Default 6 month growth spurt?

I *believe* my 6 month old may be in a growth spurt. She's been nursing nonstop for a week, even up 2-3 times a night for the past week as well (we were down to only 1 wake-up prior). Well last night she slept straight through and now today she's refusing to nurse. Is this common after a crazy nursing fest for several days? Do they not want to eat, just sleep? I get so hurt when she doesn't want to nurse and I don't know what to do. How long does this usually last? She nursed this morning really well, then as of 12 pm, she's wanted hardly any milk. I keep trying to offer, she'll latch, then get irritated and pull off (as if it's not fast enough)... she just seems really tired and cranky. So it's now been about 4 hours since she had a good nursing session. Growth spurt????
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: 6 month growth spurt?

My guess would be teething or illness- maybe an ear infection? That's more likely to cause lack of feeding than a growth spurt. Babies who are in a spurt tend to feed much more than usual, not less.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 6 month growth spurt?

I keep looking in the mouth for teeth, but I see nothing. And no sign of illness, she's happy otherwise. It's just extreme fussiness while nursing. If the milk isn't flowing INSTANTLY, she's done. Which is a complete 180 from last week when she was nursing each side about 10 times a session! Now, I'm lucky if she takes one breast at each session. It's as if her calorie intake is decreased this week. Is that common after a crazy marathon nursing week? She's also not pooping as much this week (she usually has a BM a day) and she's sleeping a TON. I just hate offering milk only to be rejected. But at least she's nursing somewhat, so it's not an all out strike. Should I pump to maintain my supply in the interim? Will she go back to nursing both sides each session after whatever-this-is is over? Thanks for any support ladies!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!