Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk supply help

Default milk supply help

So my milk supply seems to be dwindling. I used to leak through my breast pads and through my shirts all the time no matter if she was nursing or if it was just time for her to eat. Now the only time I leak is if I'm engorged. My little one has seemed to be nursing more especially at night. While Sleeping with me She nurses through out the night. I've started trying rice oatmeal with her today (while still breastfeeding) and I need my milk to mix with it so while she was sleeping I felt the let down sensation and decided to pump some so I would have it for the rice oatmeal. I barely got 2oz. Before I would get at least 3oz. She nurses for at least 30 min. Does the fact that she falls asleep while eating and sleeps with the nipple in her mouth have anything to do with my supply going down. I nurse on demand and some days she's quite demanding. She is almost 6 months old. Does anyone have any idea what's happening, any suggestions, or advice?

Default Re: milk supply help

No longer leaking isn't in and of itself a sign that your production is decreasing and neither is the fact that your pumping an ounce less. Also if you ever feel a letdown sensation you can initiate a feed. And falling asleep while nursing is pretty normal. As long as baby is gaining weight and meeting developmental milestones and you continue to feed on demand--all is probably well.
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012

In the beginning you have an oversupply of milk but as the weeks go on your supply regulates to meet baby's demand more closely, so that's probably why you see a decrease in pump output. Also it's normal to see peaks and valleys in pump output.
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012

This all sounds normal. As the PP said, it sounds like you've gone from oversupply to having just the right amount of milk. Keep nursing on demand and all will be well!

Has baby's weighty gain been normal? If so, I agree with pp. I think you are being unduly alarmed about a couple of myths. first, that a baby nursing more often means mom has low milk production, and two, that babies progressively sleep longer stretches and go longer between nursing sessions (nurse less often) as they age. While both may be true of some babies, neither is true of all babies. Also, what you pump means little if anything, and in any case, 2 ounces is a normal amount to pump in one session.

I will also suggest that babies do not 'need' rice cereal ever, nor do you need to have your expressed milk to mix with baby cereal. Were you instructed to start baby on cereal by someone? What and when and how you start baby on solids is really up to you, following baby's signs of readiness. The science does NOT suggest that there is one single right way and it certainly does not show that babies need cereal to start.

If you are worried about your milk production going forward, filling baby up with runny, liquidy cereal is exactly what you do not want to do. Otherwise, it sounds like you are meeting baby's need to nurse and doing great.

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk...-rice.html?m=1
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/perc...fficient-milk/

A great link from kellymom about how many moms think their supply is low when it's not. And another link that expands on meg 's suggestion not to use rice cereal. It is of course your choice. Our society makes it seem like a must though so just making sure you know there are much more nutrient dense foods to start baby on.

Re rice cereal. I wonder why WIC keeps pushing it. My baby gets 4 bottles of cereal each month in his checks. I've given it once or twice but since my baby doesn't care whether I add it to his veggies/fruits, I might as well not use it. I just did have to use it once or twice when he refused to nurse but would take milk from a spoon and it keeps falling off if it doesn't have some texture so I sprinkled in some of that.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/