Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My relactation journey. Advice and support much appreciated

Default My relactation journey. Advice and support much appreciated

So I'm Alfie's mummy. He was born just under 5 weeks ago by emergency c section. I breastfeed Alfie for 5 days exclusively (7 days on my right boob) but due to shooting pains and sore nipples and post traumatic stress syndrome i gave up. After another two weeks I felt a massive void when I was feeding him a bottle and how I longed to breastfeed again. So I went to a lactation consultant and hired a medela symphony. I started taking fenugreek four days ago with what I believe as no effect. Having started with just a few drops I now at 11 days get 1ounce a day. The total from both breasts. Alfie will latch for only a few minutes maybe three times a day but will not stay there for long periods. Unfortunately I have noticed no inxrease in milk supply for three days now and I'm started to feel slightly disheartened. I express every 2-3 hours and usually fit in 9 pumping sessions a day with one between 1-5am. I massage pump then hand express. I'm tempted to buy domperidone from the pharmacy but apparently the pharmacist will ask questions.. AnY advice or support will be much appreciated. Thank you

Default Re: My relactation journey. Advice and support much apprecia

Congratulations on your gorgeous boy! Relactation takes a while and you are doing an amazing job getting to 1oz already and the fact that he is willing to latch and try is all going in your favour There is a lot of good advice on the Kellymom site http://kellymom.com/category/ages/adopt-relactate/

Fenugreek worked well for me however it took a few days for it to have an impact. There are other supplements that you can consider and they are outlined on the Kellymom site. I made sure that we had lots of skin to skin throughout the day and carried my boy about in a sling when not feeding and I had him on my knee when I was expressing and certainly being near him both calmed me down and increased my output.

I know it seems hard at the moment however it really does sound as if things are heading in the right direction for you both, you are doing an amazing job

Keep at it, mama! As the PP said, relactation takes time, and the fact that you have a baby who will latch and are already seeing some milk is just awesome!

If you think Domperidone might help you, you should talk to your doc. Even if it's available OTC in your area! it's a good idea to talk to a doc about dosage and potential side-effects or contraindications. And if the doc agrees that using it is a good idea, who cares what the pharmacist thinks or what questions he/she asks?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hey ladies. So were day 13 today. Still only getting an ounce a day although Alfie is latching in more often and longer. About 5 minutes if I'm lucky! Started to resent pumping though and finding it hard to keep stress free. I spend most my free time attached to it.

We totally understand. Pumping is so boring and time-consuming! It's wonderful that your baby is latching more, though. I am sure your hard work is making that possible!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hello again. So day 20 for me. Doctor perscribed me 10 days worth of domperidone of 30mg a day. Not sure if this low dose will make any difference and I can't afford to buy anymore myself. I couldn't persuade him for anymore. Also my sns system has arrived and I used it for three 2oz feeds yesterday and also started the first one of today. It's rather fiddly but when it works it's good. I have however found he has a poor latch when using it so not sure how to rectify this. I've tried latching him on then inserting the tube to no avail. He just gets frustrated. All in all in milk has uped to about 1.5oz a day total (just pumping days no latching) which to me seems very slow. Trying not to worry about it but its hard and today has been a bit of a day of me overthinking things. Does this slow increase in milk necessarily mean I won't get a full supply?

30mg per day really helped my supply. It could be the boost you need to kickstart your milk. I don't know much about sns since my girl wont latch so wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oxygen78 View Post
    30mg per day really helped my supply. It could be the boost you need to kickstart your milk. I don't know much about sns since my girl wont latch so wouldn't work for me.
    So I'm five weeks in to relactation. A lot of people say relcatation takes about a month. So over the last few days I've heed trying to evaluate everything and I've found it really hard to come to terms with the fact I'm not going to increase my supply much more. So I'm giving my baby probably about 5-6oz of my breast milk aday the test formula. Which is of course great coming from nothing but I can't help but feel so deflated and upset that I am unable to fully relactate. I just wish I could like all the other mums breast feed all the time. I just feel I've really had the rough end of the deal with a rubbish birth experience and a not so good breast feeding experience. ANd nothing will be able to change the fact that all this has happened. I've got to send the symphony breast pump back next week and I've got myself an ameda lactalibe which is good but in a different leaguer from the hospital grade pump. I just need some support right now. And I'm gunna keep going with the breast feeding but I don't hold much hopes on increasing my supply much more. Feeding so sad espiecally because my son is so so good at the breast feeding thing!!

A lot of people might think that relactation takes a month, but I have no idea why they think that. Relactation is a process that takes different amounts of time for different women. If it takes you longer than average, that's not a sign that you'll never be able to make "enough" or that you have failed or that you should quit. It just means that in the relactation game, you are not the speediest. But stamina, determination, patience- those things are just as important as speed, if not more so!

You have a baby who is good at nursing and you're making quite a lot of milk every day. Those are wonderful achievements, and you should be proud of them!!! Just keep plugging away at this, and I think there is every reason to believe you will go as far as you want with breastfeeding.