Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply getting too low?

Question Is my supply getting too low?

Let me first apologize now for being long winded. I'm currently nursing my 2nd child and she is 12 weeks old. With my first, I was very uneducated about BFing and thought I had a low supply, which led to supplementing, which led to decreasing supply, which led to weaning early. I think it was around 9 weeks. So, I was determined to get it right this time. I started pumping early....as directed by an IBCLC and a mother/baby nurse....because my LO didn't seem satisfied after her feedings. I supplemented the pumped breastmilk to satisfy her. We did not have to do this for any longer than a couple weeks and it was only 1-3 times a day. After supplementing was no longer needed, I continued to pump after feedings to build a freezer stash and because I was paranoid about having low supply. Then the Green watery/slimy poop started coming and never went away. I did research and then contacted a new IBCLC and we concluded I had oversupply and OALD (I have been back to work for 5 weeks and in an 8 hour shift I would pump 3 times and get 5oz each time...with sessions being in 2 hour spaces) She told me to stop pumping at home and don't time feedings but to try and feed on one side per feeding. So that is what I have been doing for about the past 2 weeks. Her poos and more orange but still slimy/watery. Never seedy. she had 3 diapers in three weeks with bright red flecks of blood in them. So, Ped has me eliminating dairy and soy. At night I do not get up to feed her. She goes to sleep between 9 and 10....sleeps until 3a.m. usually....and that is when I simply pull her into bed and let her latch on till morning (I started this because I was getting so tired I was falling asleep sitting up and I was afraid she would roll out of my arms or something. I set an alarm on my phone for every 3 hours to turn to the others side. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for my supply or for her in general. or should I be getting up to nurse her to make sure she is actively nursing and not just snacking or comfort nursing all night? She has gained weight rapidly....14lbs 1oz now at 12 weeks......7lbs 13oz at birth. Not sure if that is good or bad. She used to be a very long nurser 40 mins or more. Now, since doing all this, she only nurses about 10 mins on one side and that's it and it seemed like it changed suddenly. sometimes she just comes off happy or plays and other times it seems to end in a love hate relationship. lol. So now my breasts almost always feel empty, I don't pump as much 2-4 oz. And I'm freaking out because I don't wanna end up with low supply. especially since we discovered I have excess lipase in my milk and LO hates it....and I don't blame her a bit. But I have a whole freezer of milk that I can't use now and right in the midst of decreasing my supply. So, I'm alittle anxious because I feel like without having and oversupply and my stash that I have no security blanket to fall into. Please help! Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Default Re: Is my supply getting too low?

Stop doing the things to decrease supply then. If she wants to take both breasts in a feeding let her.
    And if you need to replace your freezer stash, start doing some pumping (Perhaps do less pumping now so you don't cause yourself over production though.)

At 3 months is it also normal for mom's milk supply to have synced up with baby so that you are not over producing so there will be less extra to pump. I guess most moms pump after the morning nursing session since that seems to be when supply is most abundant. You might have to pump a couple days to get a bottle/bag full for the freezer. I understand With excess lipase you will need to scald the milk shortly after you pump it to minimize the lipase for a baby who objects to the taste.

Her poos and more orange but still slimy/watery. Never seedy. she had 3 diapers in three weeks with bright red flecks of blood in them. So, Ped has me eliminating dairy and soy.
    Eliminating dairy and soy might help, and can't hurt anything except your ability to enjoy your diet. But you should go into the dietary elimination aware that oversupply can also cause bloody poops, and the blood can persist even after mom has dealt with the problematic oversupply. It takes a while for the baby's gut to heal completely.

The good news is that when a baby is gaining well and developing normally, wierd poops are something to keep an eye on but not something to be particularly concerned about, even if they have blood in them.

She goes to sleep between 9 and 10....sleeps until 3a.m. usually....and that is when I simply pull her into bed and let her latch on till morning (I started this because I was getting so tired I was falling asleep sitting up and I was afraid she would roll out of my arms or something. I set an alarm on my phone for every 3 hours to turn to the others side. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for my supply or for her in general. or should I be getting up to nurse her to make sure she is actively nursing and not just snacking or comfort nursing all night?
    This all sounds just fine! Even if your baby is "just" snacking or comfort nursing, it's totally fine- both snacking and comfort nursing are normal and desirable aspects of breastfeeding. And the fact that you are open to night-nursing is terrific- there is no better way to preserve your supply and your nursing relationship than to keep nursing, even in the wee hours.

She has gained weight rapidly....14lbs 1oz now at 12 weeks......7lbs 13oz at birth. Not sure if that is good or bad.
    Good. It's totally normal for breastfed babies to gain weight quite rapidly during early infancy. They tend to slim down a lot once they become mobile, and you can probably expect her to drop some percentiles in the 4-8 month range as she starts devoting more calories to physical activity and packing fewer on as fat.

She used to be a very long nurser 40 mins or more. Now, since doing all this, she only nurses about 10 mins on one side and that's it and it seemed like it changed suddenly
    Babies get more efficient at nursing as time goes on. By the time they are a few months old, many babies are capable of getting a full feeding in 10 minutes or less, and the change from long feedings to short ones can happen quite suddenly.

sometimes she just comes off happy or plays and other times it seems to end in a love hate relationship. lol.
    Normal. Roll with it, and if the baby seems fussy, just offer the breast again. If she's hungry, she'll take it.

So now my breasts almost always feel empty, I don't pump as much 2-4 oz.
    Normal. The average feeding at the breast is 2-4 oz, and once your supply and baby's demand are well-matched, it's normal to rarely if ever feel full or engorged. The fact that you pump 2-4 oz is terrific- just keep pumping at work and if you find yourself slipping behind baby's daycare intake, add some pump sessions. More frequent pumping is generally the cure when you hit a pump slump.

To sum up: it sounds like you're doing great! Relax, enjoy your baby, keep slaving away with the pump when you're at work. You'll get where you want to go!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hey thanks so much!!! what are your thoughts on probiotics? do youvtuink they would help heal or soothe her digestive track? And how do I know if its if her stools are really from an allergy or oversupply?

Hey thanks so much!!! what are your thoughts on probiotics? do youvtuink they would help heal or soothe her digestive track? And how do I know if its if her stools are really from an allergy or oversupply?

Probiotics: can't hurt, might help.

Oversupply vs. allergy: impossible to tell the difference from poop color/contents/consistency alone. If you know you have or had oversupply, that is generally a better bet than allergy because oversupply is much more common than allergy. If you know oversupply isn't to blame and the baby has a lot of possible allergy symptoms, e.g. eczema, hives, bad reflux, and you find that elimination diets help alleviate those symptoms, then you want to look at allergies. Like I said, it's difficult!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"