Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Over supply, engorgement causing indigestion for baby. HELP!

Question Over supply, engorgement causing indigestion for baby. HELP!

Hi, I am 28 years old with a 3 month old daughter. Right from the start I am having milk over supply leading to engorgement and severe pain. It remains the same even in mid of third month. My daughter latches perfectly and consume milk very well. But from last two weeks, we found curdled particles in her stool. sometimes it looks really scary ( somewhat like thick paneer particles) . Since two days she looks lethargic too. Doc advised to stop breast feeding and change to formula. I really want to find a solution and keep feeding my child until she turns 2.

Please help me with some suggestions!

Default Re: Over supply, engorgement causing indigestion for baby. H

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby and on making it to the 3rd month of nursing!

First of all, it sounds like things are actually going pretty well, because your baby latches well and nurses well. That means you have a lot of the basics down, and all you may need to do is to adjust the fine points.

Is your baby growing and developing normally? If she is, oversupply and weird-looking poops are a minor problem. Can you post her weight history (birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup)?

Seeing paneer-like particles in your baby's stool is totally normal. Breastfed baby stool typically looks like crumbly bits of paneer cheese mixed with yogurt and turmeric.

If your baby seems lethargic, my guess is that she is sick. And when a baby is sick, the best thing you can do is to continue to nurse. Breastmilk contains immune factors that will help your baby recover faster. Formula doesn't, and based on what you have posted, I'm pretty shocked that your doctor recommended it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you mommal!

I feel really relieved on hearing some positive comments.

Yes, baby is growing pretty well with ideal weight gain.
    Her birth weight was 3.3 kg and now at 3 months 17 days, she weighs 6.1 kg.
    Her lowest weight was 3.1 kg when she was three days old.
    She was 4.5 in her second month and 5.6 in her third month.

Yes, i continued breast feeding her and now she is alright.

Over supply of milk continues and I always feel lump in the right side of my breasts. It gets really painful each time the breasts are engorged but goes off once its expressed.

Your baby is growing well- that means there's absolutely no need to introduce formula!

It sounds like you must have quite a lot of milk- those lumps you're feeling are very full milk ducts. It's good that they deflate when the baby nurses. Are you pumping or expressing in addition to nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Yes, in addition to nursing, I express using a manual breast pump. I started taking Ayurvedic medicine for controlling the milk supply and it is giving good results already.

We had vaccination coming up and hence gave baby's stool for culture to rule out any doubts of infection. It seems there is bacterial infection in the sample. We have given for a second time culture for precise report.

Is it okay to take vaccination when there is infection or should we wait? Also is it fine to postponing the vaccination for a week?

Do you actually need to express? The reason I ask is that when a mom has oversupply, she should avoid pumping and simply nurse, if that is an option for her. Additional stimulation from pumping signals your body to create more supply, and clearly you do not need more milk right now!

Babies who are only mildly sick can be vaccinated. But if your baby is very sick or running a fever, it's best to delay. There is no great risk from waiting for a week or more.

Thank you mommal! We are gonna wait till baby is fine for vaccination.