Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why do I feel teeth all of a sudden.

Default Why do I feel teeth all of a sudden.

My lo is 2 years old and nurses @ 8 times a day. Everything seems to be going great. All of a sudden this week I seem to be feeling her teeth. She isn't biting and doesn't have any new teeth. I have had some soreness in the past with AF but that isn't due for a couple of weeks and this feels different.
    Is there an explanation for this? Is there something I can do to adjust her latch or something? I've already asked her to be gentle and she looked confused but tried. I then told her it was fine because I didn't want her to worry she was hurting me when it wasn't her fault.
    Any advice appreciated! TIA

Default Re: Why do I feel teeth all of a sudden.

Have you tried different nursing positions? I often find that latch issues in older babies and toddlers are in part due to positioning changes needed. Kids need room for head to tilt back enough so they are not tucking their chin. Think about how you drink from glass. So maybe try side lying or laid back nursing positions or just finding some way to make more room. You can also try paying close attention to latch, maybe shaping the breast or whatever, and 'taking' your daughter off and trying again, just as you might do for a poor latch in a younger baby.

When I needed my then two year old son to nurse more 'gently" I found I had to find language he could comprehend. for example, I would ask him to open wide (and show him what I meant) I would also say "nurse more slowly please" or "little sucks." sometimes I would just say 'soft' or make gentle shhh shhh sounds and it seemed to help.

Have you seen this article? Especially the part about teeth scraping. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

Thank you meg. I'm going to try holding her up a bit higher. I think it might be gravity working against us. Based on that article and what you said, I will have to watch that when I hold her higher her chin doesn't tuck. I think when I tried repositioning I was getting one or the other. She is getting bigger as she should. I do love watching her grow which seems to happen by the minute!

I find at that age it has to do with lazy latching. As they have gotten better and we as a dyads get comfortable and know they are getting milk we pay less attention and then as they get teeth we notice. Treat exactly the same as you would with a newborn who is making you uncomfortable. Stop unlatch and wait for a big wide mouth and shove as much breast as possible in. If you stop the session, just like a new born they will open wide and try again. Remember, the older they get the more actual dancing you do. So making sure YOU are comfortable at the two year point is really important in terms of the give and take of the relationship.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for your responses. I'm starting to think it is at least in part hormonal. Since AF came back I'm a bit sensitive at that time of the month. I'm realizing now that this may also be happening when I ovulate. I've always had a strong cycle and symptoms. Just didn't think of it. I'm also going to keep up with being more aware of positioning. Thanks again!

My LO is also a little over two and I also seem to be super-sensitive around the time of ovulation. I think the positioning and latch ideas are good ones but when I'm ovulating I have a hard time finding any position that is completely comfortable (though some positions are clearly worse than others, so definitely worth working on). Anyway, it helps me to know that it only lasts a few days.

Just wanted to update for those searching in the future. I'm pregnant. I guess me feeling teeth was the beginning of the hormone roller coaster I'm on now Wish me luck

Congratulations!!!

Way too lazy for formula