Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek

Default Fenugreek

I had some one suggest not taking fenugreek constantly long term but rather take it till milk production seems to increase and then stop taking it for a period of time.

Has anyone else had experience with this and if so, what seemed to work well for you as far as schedule of taking it as well as dosage.

Default Re: Fenugreek

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    I had some one suggest not taking fenugreek constantly long term but rather take it till milk production seems to increase and then stop taking it for a period of time.

Has anyone else had experience with this and if so, what seemed to work well for you as far as schedule of taking it as well as dosage.
    Ok so I stopped taking it for several days and now I'm taking it again starting today, will see if I notice an effect. I've normally been taking the MAX dose I've seen recommended of 4 capsules (600 mg) 3 times a day for a total of 7200 mg per day. Before cutting it out though I had only been taking 3 capsules 3 times a day for a couple weeks.

Just found this thread. How did it go stopping the fenugreek?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oxygen78 View Post
    Just found this thread. How did it go stopping the fenugreek?
    I've already gone back on it again. It is hard for me to tell exactly how much effect it seems to have since there are so many things going on but I do think it does have an effect for me and the only down side seems to be flatulence.

I think I'm going to keep taking it at least for another month before perhaps trying to cut down or cut it out again. (Baby is getting therapy to help with oral Motor function so hopefully he will have better milk transfer going on here before too long, already improving some but still work to do.) Once baby is transferring milk better I may be able to stop supplementing and just nurse on demand and hopefully also be able to cut out the constant pumping too. If I get to that point I'll hopefully not need or be able to greatly reduce the dose of fenugreek. Till then I'm doing everything I can to make sure my supply stays and high as possible.