Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Cogged duct

Default HELP! Cogged duct

So on Friday afternoon I started to notice my Rt. Breast hurting even after feedings as soon as i realized it was a clogged duct i got in the shower and massaged it and then pumped as soon as I got out. I then proceeded to feed my baby mainly on my Rt. side to start with. every 2nd feeding I would start on my Lt to make sure it to was getting emptied. Then saturday I felt great my Rt breast was a little tender but I figured it was from massaging it and it would take time to feel normal. Then 4 o'clock hit and I got super cold and then 8 I got super hot (temp of 103) I got in the shower and massaged again and pumped again and then continued feeding starting on the Rt side. I did one more heat massage and pump prior to going to be (only getting 1 oz) This morning my baby is eating every hour on both sides. I know my supply has plummeted! Normally I get 3 oz per side and now I am luckily to get 1. I DO NOT want to go to formula!!! I have been tempted to supplement but I really want to BF this baby for 1 year! she is 6 weeks old what can I do to get my supply back up and make sure this clog is GONE!

Default Re: HELP! Cogged duct

See Dr about possible infection/mastitis, keep feeding baby as much as you can. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids as a fever can cause you to dehydrate.

Even if supply drops, you can usually bring it back up with pumping/extra feeding if you have the time and support to do so.

Breast Feeding or Formula Doesn't have to be all or nothing, If you need to supplement, then do so since baby needs to eat. Just be sure to pump extra when you do use supplement so as to let your body know that the demand is still there even if you are not able to fill it at the moment due to illness, whatever etc.

ok, assuming baby has been gaining normally, there is no reason you should have to go to formula due to a plug or mastitis. In fact, supplementing is probably the worst thing you can do because it would lead to baby nursing less and you do not want that! Just because you are pumping less amount does not mean your supply has plummeted. Also, Many mothers feel less full after the first month or two, plus since you are nursing often it makes sense there would be less when you pump or you feel less full.

If your supply is affected, that is temporary and it should come back with baby nursing frequently, almost surely before it has any ill affect on baby.

I am going to link articles below with ideas for dealing with plugs and mastitis. Personally I found that using a personal massager to vibrate the plug, and nursing upside down (baby laying on the floor while I kneeled over baby) to be most helpful when clearing plugs. That and nursing very frequently. When massaging, I suggest, try manipulating your breast as if you are playing with a bag of marbles rather than rubbing and rubbing on the plug which might cause more inflammation. Cold is good for reducing the inflammation as well. Cold packs.

Fever and chills indicate infection-mastitis. In that case, anti-biotics may be warranted. These will help the infection so your fever goes away and you feel better. But they will not rid you of the plug. YOu will still need to keep working to get the plug out.

Have you been pumping for a while? How often? Pumping on top of normal nursing frequency can increase milk production and make it more likely mom will get engorged and/or get plugs.

I have only pumped 2x a day since I started getting symptoms the first night I BF a ton and massaged it and put it on it. It felt a ton better. The next morning I felt fine and it wasn't near as tender ( I figured it was just left over pain and would feel fine in a day or 2) my baby was nursing every 2-3 hours still then last night the pain got worse and I got the fever I showered massaged it and pumped 2x again last night. today my baby has been eating every 30 min on the dot so i just keep switching sides. I did just do another round of shower massage and pump. i called my on call OB and he called in a rx for antibiotics to start.

ok if you are pumping because of the plug that is fine. Frequent milk removal whether by nursing or pump is key.

So, it sounds like your supply is good then if you are able to pump & feed?