Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby is 4 weeks strictly formula fed but want to breastfeed!

Exclamation baby is 4 weeks strictly formula fed but want to breastfeed!

I breast fed my oldest but was told because of medication I couldn't. So I didn't...he is now exactly 1 month old and bottle feedih is driving me.insane and to top it off the doctor.has yet to give me the said medicine that prevented me from breast feeding in the first place! I'm still leaking milk. I really want to tell the dr to shove the medicine up his butt and just breastfeed. Is it still a option I have? Is it a bad idea?

Help!!!

Default Re: baby is 4 weeks strictly formula fed but want to breastf

Welcome to the forum!

If you want to breastfeed, you certainly can. Start trying to get your baby back to the breast by using the tips in this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. Meanwhile, pump frequently using a good double electric pump with correctly sized shields. The ideal would be to use a hospital-grade pump, and to pump 10-20 minutes per side at least 8 times per day, including one pump session overnight. If you cannot manage that level of work, that's okay- every little but of stimulation to and milk removal from the breast will help you produce more milk.

The other thing you want to do is to check the safety of the medication your doctor wants to give you. It is very common for doctors to not know the safety profile of a particular drug and to recommend that a mom not nurse when she actually could. So get the exact name of the drug and then contact the Infant Risk Center: http://www.infantrisk.com. They can give you accurate information on medication safety.

It sounds like you do not want to take the medication your doc has suggested, and that is always an option. You do not have to do everything your doctor says. If you don't like a particular medication you can not take it, you can request an alternative, and you can get a second opinion. Just discuss with your doctor or with a different doctor the potential effects of not taking the medication- if you don't, what happens? Once you have the information you need, you can decide whether or not pursuing nursing is a bad idea, or not.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

please let us know how it goes or if you have further questions. If I am understanding what you have written, your doctor told you to never nurse your newborn(?) and then did not even prescribe the medicine that is supposedly contraindicated(?) Why? is there some reason you cannot even be lactating before taking the meds? This is outrageous. Even if your baby could have nursed one day, that would have been better for the health of your infant than not nursing at all. If it were me, I would be very angry.

Often times there are alternatives to medications that are safe to nurse while taking. However, if you still have not been given the medication and you are doing ok then maybe you don't really need it? There are a lot of natural ways to remedy conditions. I am a firm believer that the pharmaceutical industry just wants to keep us sick! PM me if you want to talk =D Nursing is ALWAYS the best choice, so anyone that would suggest you don't while not taking that medicine is uneducated. Also...if that medicine is not safe for baby its probably not safe for you hon! BEST OF LUCK!

Lots of my family are doctors and work in pharmaceutical industry and they certainly are not engaged in any kind of conspiracy to keep people sick. Very much the opposite. Though pharma companies certainly carry out corrupt practices and habitually overcharge. I firmly disagree with the former poster about the impact of "natural" remedies (as if to distinguish from medicine not being natural?) or the assumption that what is unsafe for a baby is also unsafe for you. It sounds like your doctor is just acting on a whim and not taking your breastfeeding wishes seriously. I would recommend contacting Wendy at http://www.breastfeeding-and-medication.co.uk/ or Jack Newman at http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/. They are both renowned for getting back to people and will be able to help.
    Good luck!